View Full Version : DSLR, DvSLR, HDSLR, DSMC, HDvSLR, so which acronym do you use?

Michael Wisniewski
February 12th, 2010, 05:59 PM
It's tongue in cheek, but what acronym do you use to describe the new SLR cameras that shoot video?

David Chapman
February 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
What about vdslr or video dslr?

"vid-slur" haha

Daniel Bates
February 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
DSLR, DvSLR, HDSLR, DSMC, HDvSLR

Well, "DSLR" isn't very specific, but I've used it in the past. DVSLR is technically accurate; HDSLR makes no sense (High Digital Single Lens Reflex?) and the correct version of the same is entirely too cumbersome (HDVDSLR). I vote for DVSLR.

Kin Lau
February 12th, 2010, 08:42 PM
My7D :)

filler...

Paul Digges
February 14th, 2010, 09:15 PM
DVSLR makes the most sense. However, I usually just say 7D or 5D since I don't know any Nikon shooters personally...

Aaron Fowler
February 14th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I'm with David... VDSLR!

I say that because it's intended primary function is a stills camera not video. So to me it's a DSLR that shoots video.

Video (capable) Digital Single Lens Reflex camera = VDSLR

That's my reasoning at least.

Dave Blackhurst
February 15th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I usually go with DSLRV or DSLR-V, as the video is a "secondary" function.

While the function is mighty cool, a 12 minute clip limit puts the capability in a "secondary" status. Not saying that it should be underestimated (still waiting for Sony Alphas to come on board!!), just that these ARE photo cameras first.

It's going to be tough to classify imaging devices (even the term "DV" is perhaps becoming obsolete). When pocket P&S cameras and cell phones are shooting "HD", things have changed...

Tim Le
February 15th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I predict HDSLR will be the acronym that sticks. Canon already uses this acronym (see example below) and many vendors are using it too. It's easy to say and understand because people are already use to all of the HD marketing. VDSLR implies just video and doesn't stresses that it's FULL HD video! DvSLR or HDvSLR would just confuse people because it changes the already familiar DSLR term. Better to just add a letter to the beginning of DSLR.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3050&productID=329&articleTypeID=5

Graeme Hay
February 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM
DSLRv as the video tends to be tacked on the back.