View Full Version : Matte box mounting issues

Christopher Glavan
February 20th, 2010, 02:26 AM
So I bought a clamp-on matte box with a 95mm opening, but my lens diameter is 82mm. I figure no problem, I can snag an 82mm-95mm step-up ring and voila- working matte box.

wrong.

Got the step-up ring today, and it's designed to let you use 95mm accessories on your 82mm lens, so the INSIDE diameter is 95mm, but the OUTSIDE diameter is larger than 95mm!!!

I can return the adapter, but I need to find a fix with an outer diameter of 95mm that will allow me to mount this matte box onto my lens. Please help!

Chris

Paul Hudson
February 22nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
If you call Able Cinetech and explain what you are trying to do someone will help out.

Paul Hudson
Lizardlandvideo.com
Phoenix Video Production

Christopher Glavan
February 23rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
After hearing back from the company that makes the matte box (they don't make an 82mm to 95mm adapter- wtf?!) I called Abel. They don't think they have one in stock. B&H doesn't either. Even tried contacting Fujinon. Nope. I'm beginning to think nobody thought of this, and the adapter just doesn't exist.

Anyone with metal working experience that can give me a ballpark estimate of what it would cost to have something machined from scratch, and what materials would be best?

Thanks.