View Full Version : 7D vs T2i test video

J.J. Kim
February 24th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I got mine today and started recording since unwarpping.
Did some side to side comparison with 7D a little bit.

7D vs. T2i Comparison Video on Vimeo

Couldn't shoot too much outside since it was cold and I am sick.
Video coming tonight.
Stay Tuned.

Daniel von Euw
February 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM
@J.J. Kim:

Have the camera 1080i Output during recording like the 7D or only 576p / 480p like the 5D II?

Daniel

Chris Hurd
February 24th, 2010, 05:19 PM
All aspects of HD video on the T2i including HDMI output will be identical to the 7D and 1D Mk. IV.

Daniel von Euw
February 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM
@Chris Hurd:

This will make sense und i have expect that HD Output is the same like the 7D - but is this info 100%?

The HD Output over HDMI while recording is one of the main point for my choice between 550D / 7D / 5D II.

Thanks
Daniel

Chris Hurd
February 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I'm positive, but we'll all know 100% within the next day or so.

Prashanna Jayaseelan
February 24th, 2010, 11:44 PM

Bryan McCullough
February 24th, 2010, 11:58 PM
What do you call those large focus rings he's got on his lenses? Those look like they'd be pretty handy.

J. Chris Moore
February 25th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Awesome comparison video! Watching you play with yours will have to hold me over until mine gets here. Video quality looks extremely similar in my opinion, I think its so close that the t2i will continue to be a good choice for those looking for quality and value.

John Vincent
February 25th, 2010, 12:43 AM
What do you call those large focus rings he's got on his lenses? Those look like they'd be pretty handy.

Yeah man, that ring thingy was sweet! Def like to get man hands on one of those...

Good comparison - bottom line, these cameras are pretty darn close (at least in terms of video quality).

What I'd really like to see is Mark II v T2i - I'd still but the Mark II if it produced dramtically better pictures. That said, it's pretty clear that shooting movie mode on this camera is easy as pie. Click on movie mode, goto 1080 p, 24fps and you're ready to jam.

I've never used the Mark II, but I get the imprssion it's something of an effort to make it shoot video mode manually. Even when the 24p upgrade hits, the "built from scratch to be video friendly" aspect of the T2i is very appealing.

So far, so good.

john

Mark Ross
February 25th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Wow.. great comparison video. Thanks for posting.

The only real thing that jumped out at me was the final set of comparison shots... The T2i looked much warmer (especially on the skintones) than the 7D.

I do think, however, that the T2i will be more than adequate for a lot of people.

Jason McDonald
February 25th, 2010, 03:06 AM

Focus Gears - Video University on Vimeo

i think...they are fun and make focusing that much easier.

J.J. Kim
February 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hi, everyone.
Here is the blog post with details Orange Video Production (http://orangevp.blogspot.com/)
And here is short (19mins) video that I made yesterday.
Enjoy!

Khoi Pham
February 25th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the comparison, and yes like you, no manual temperature settings for WB sucks and less ISO increment sucks too for me, but hey I have no problem spending half the price for this to back up my 7D.

Marty Hudzik
February 25th, 2010, 09:34 AM
So what ISO settings are available? THis is not that big of a deal but I am curious. Also, can you verify if there is a simple way to lock the wheel into aperture mode during video? What I mean is when I shoot video I would never want to adjust shutter once I set it and I'd rather not have to hold down a 2nd button to engage the iris mode. Just set the wheel to aperture and be done with it. Does this make sense?

And...any chance of clarifying what the dedicated video mode on the dial means? Do you have to be on this setting to shoot video? All others are for stills?

Thanks in advance.

David St. Juskow
February 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Is the "custom" white balance just the ability to set white balance, or can you dial in an actual color temperature setting? That's pretty lame, that they removed color temp numbers and replaced with cheesy "modes". I realize they get to do that if they charge 800 bucks, but it's silly. Hopefully someone can find out what each "mode" represents in reality.

Marty Hudzik
February 25th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Most cameras have presets for color balance....you know....indoor, outdoor, flourescent, tungsten. cloudy, dusk, etc. Recently they have been adding actual color temperature adjustments in 100k increments. This is a cool new feature that is welcomed by all of us.

So...if indeed the T2i does not have this (it appears initially not to) then it is not a major change in design philosophy, just an omission of a "newer" feature.

Chris Hurd
February 25th, 2010, 10:02 AM
So what ISO settings are available? 100 to to 12,800.

And...any chance of clarifying what the dedicated video mode on the dial means? That's how you put the camera into video recording mode.

Marty, have you downloaded and read through the operator's manual yet? It answers these questions plus many more. There's a "sticky" post at the top of the forum index with the manual attached. The link is http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-rebel-t2i-eos-550d-hd/473594-download-operators-manual-rebel-t2i-eos-550d.html

J.J. Kim
February 25th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Thank you, Chris, for putting two threads together for me. And big thanks for answering most of the questions.
Follow focus ring answer looks like has been answered. Yes, the one on L lens is older model (with red ring), and 28mm one has newer version.
WB setting, please go to my blog for detail at Orange Video Production (http://orangevp.blogspot.com/)
I am thinking about going out and shoot some more, but I only have 4GB SD card.
My 32GB cards are coming tomorrow (along with extra batteries), so I will def. shoot more this weekend.
Thank you!

JJ

Chris Hurd
February 25th, 2010, 10:18 AM
According to the owner's manual, you can choose a WB preset or get a manual balance using a bounce card, the old fashioned way. Unfortunately there's no way to input a specific color temperature in degrees Kelvin using 100 degree increments as there is on the 7D and other pro -level EOS cameras.

So it looks like we'll have to carry bounce cards again...

Marty Hudzik
February 25th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Chris,

thanks. I hadn't seen the manual yet so I will grab that. However, I find that often some of these little items are not apparent until you physically handle the camera which is why I was asking someone who had used the 7d and the T2i.

On the 7d you can switch to video recording mode via a dedicated switch, so you can shoot video with any of the preprogrammed shooting presets plus the 3 custom presets. On the surface it appears that isn't the case with the t2i.

I am just trying to wrap my head around real world limitations of the t2i vs. the 7d. I know the specs, I am familiar with the main differences but until someone uses it, there is no good way to know the intangible differences that appear that are not documented.

Chris Hurd
February 25th, 2010, 10:25 AM
For every HD-equipped Canon D-SLR, the actual HD recording is initiated in a different way for each camera. On the 5D Mk. II, you change a menu setting one time to enable the Set button to start recording, when in Live View mode (two steps; press the Live View button then press Set).

On the 7D, there's a physical switch to access movie mode, and a dedicated Start button.

On the 1D Mk. IV, you change a menu setting one time and then activate recording with the FEL button.

On the Rebel T2i / 550D, turn the mode dial to "movie" and press the Live View button to start recording. Funny how it's so different for each one of these cameras.

Bryan McCullough
February 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Well I've never gotten away from using bounce cards to set WB, so I guess I'll not miss that setting. Thanks for the great review/comparison!

J.J. Kim
February 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Wow.. great comparison video. Thanks for posting.

The only real thing that jumped out at me was the final set of comparison shots... The T2i looked much warmer (especially on the skintones) than the 7D.

I do think, however, that the T2i will be more than adequate for a lot of people.

I set the WB differently. That's not caused by different camera. I set it differently.
Why? I don't know. LOL!

JJ

Jose Ortiz
February 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
JJ.
Thanks for sharing this video!

James Strange
February 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Found this while googling

Dont think its on the boards here, if it is, mods please feel free to remove

Video ISO Comparison: Canon EOS Rebel T2i vs. Canon EOS 7D | Digital Camera Review (http://www.cameratown.com/news/news.cfm?id=8813)

James

Carlo Zanella
February 26th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Check out this one I got from Indy System (IndiSYSTEM - Studio 4 Productions (http://www.indifocus.com)).

They snap around the lens with magnets and they help you a great deal with focusing.
It takes me 5 seconds to put them on, and when I store the camera, I take them off in a second. It's a great design. They come out in different diameter sizes, so you can use them with any camera (I also have one on my 7D rig as well and on my EX1).

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show (http://www.santafetvshow.com)

Bryan McCullough
February 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM
That looks great, but I can't find them on the site. What am I missing?

Alex Sava
February 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks a lot for the video, J.J.

Been waiting for a video like that ever since I first heard of the T2i/550D so major props. :D

Bill Pryor
February 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM
You got ring gears but not the rest of the follow focus system?

Michael Simons
February 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM
That looks great, but I can't find them on the site. What am I missing?

I couldn't find the rings either. Please email me with the information. Thank you.

Carlo Zanella
February 27th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Sorry about that.

I just realized that they are not on his site yet. We got them about a week ago as part as his new FF system. They work great (I will post a couple of pictures of my 7D rig). They should be up on Indifocus.com site next week. For more info, please contact Tim directly at the number listed on his site.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella

Chad Jones
February 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Carlo,

This is a little off topic....

How do you like your IndiFocus FF system? Does it work OK for you? What's the build quality like?

Thanks,
Chad

Carlo Zanella
March 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
It works GREAT. It's a new system, it's not on his web site yet. I wil ask him the correct model number and I will post it. I have the FF on the 7D: it's smooth, precise, and the snap-on gear makes it easy in case you have to take it off. I have another FF system in my EX1 from another manufacturer, but it's not as good as this one.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella

Carlo Zanella
March 1st, 2010, 11:24 AM
Carlo,

This is a little off topic....

How do you like your IndiFocus FF system? Does it work OK for you? What's the build quality like?

Thanks,
Chad

Build Quality is also very good. It's adjustable in width and height, very versatile. The model mounted on my 7D is the "Indifocus PRO Geared"