View Full Version : No Sound - help

Vinny Carchietta
February 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Just one last effort to salvage a mistake.

Recorded an event and the Auto Sound button was switched to Manual. Both dials were set to 0, there fore no sound at all.

Any way to get the sound back at all? Does the GL2 still record it on the tape somehow?

Just a shot in the dark?

Thank you in advance, although I am 99.9% positive of the answer.

Tom Dickerson
February 26th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I'm pretty sure if audio is in manual mode and both dials are set to "0" you would not record any audio. When you capture the footage do you see anything or hear anything at all on the audio track? I ask because it would be strange to ever set both dials perfectly to "0".

One thing nice about the GL2 is the external audio meters on the side of the camera that allow you to visually see if you are recording audio. If I tape in a situation where I am being "low key" I take ear buds rather than my headphones...it's better than nothing. As a last resort I monitor with the external meter or the audio meter on the LCD screen to around -12db.

Graham Bernard
February 26th, 2010, 11:34 PM
There is a reason why I do my checklist run through prior to hitting the RED button: "Setting Levels: Audio . . . Video . . . Roll."

I use meters on the camera in conjunction with HPs, plus external monitor levels too.

No way back from this.

Grazie

Vinny Carchietta
February 26th, 2010, 11:52 PM
thank you. exactly as I thought. I tape HS Sports for teams.

Unfortunately, it was a busy night and I had to use a Football guy for a Basketball Game. In football, we turn the sound off - since we are next to coaches. I also keep my cameras (all GL2's) on Manual 0,0. This way if the we need to call each other, someone has a conversation with us or their is a rude parent/fan near us we can easily switch.

It came back to haunt me on Senior night. I really only cared about the intro's, about 3 minutes of the film.

The video guy is not used to seeing the sound bars - as I am. So when he gave me the camera, I immediately saw the Manual setting. My entire staff now knows.

Live and learn. Hey - it's better then the GL2 BARS! and losing the entire game.

Thank you all.

Don Palomaki
March 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Not likely any sound, but try capture a bit where you want to find sound, and see if there is anything at all in the audio waveform at a very low leevel. If so, you migth be able to fish out something, but the signal to noise would be pretty bad if there is anything.

Maybe someone else shot video of it and you could "borrow" and sync in their sound.