View Full Version : Canadian purchasing EX1 from U.S. dealers

Craig Kovatch
March 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Are there any Canadians here who have purchased an EX1/R from a U.S. dealer like B&H? Is there anything I should be aware of besides the lack of warranty coverage? The cost for this rig in Canada is at least $1k more. And this doesn't include any media. B&H lists the EX1R WITH a 16gb card. The exchange rate is pretty good right now, and I'm thinking of taking advantage of it.

Cheers.

Buba Kastorski
March 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
don't forget to add 13% customs fee

Bob Jackson
March 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
The original EX1 came with an 8GB sxs card, and another when you mailed in your warrantee card. i would be very surprised if the camera did not come with a 16GB card.
It would be useless without an media.

Peter Manojlovic
March 2nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
Craig...

Personally, i'd walk into the local store and tell them honestly, and without insult, that their cameras are not competitively priced. Tell them you'd like to do business, but to seriously consider bringing down the price to a more level playing field. I'm sure there's room for managerial overrides..
Us Canadians tend to just accept things the way they are (just like taxes), but we need to demand negotiated prices. It's what makes the world spin..
By the same token, the salesman needs to take YOU seriously. You've gotta be ready to drop the money when he comes down with his price.

If this falls on deaf ears, simply look into buying extra coverage that would cover warranty here in Canada....

Good luck!!!

Craig Kovatch
March 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Holy crap. Didn't think the fees were that high. Puts it very close to the Canadian price. Thanks for the heads up.

Craig Kovatch
March 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Hi Peter.

I'm up in the NWT, so the only info i have right now is what i've researched on the net. The only dealer to post pricing is Vistek. I'm going to call them in the morning to see if the 16gb card is included. If it is, then the price is very close to purchasing from the U.S. when factoring in customs fees.

In all fairness, I won't be purchasing until later this summer, so I don't really want to waste a salesman's time negotiating. But it won't hurt to ask.