View Full Version : Canon VDSLR Spotted on "The Pacific"

Tim Polster
March 7th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I was watching a making of "The Pacific", the upcoming HBO mini-series and noticed during one of the live takes a guy right next to the main camera with a 70-200 lens looking into some sort of viewfinder extension.

It looked like he was filming instead of shooting stills.

Pretty interesting the impact these cameras are having in such a short time.

Peer Landa
March 8th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I was watching a making of "The Pacific", the upcoming HBO mini-series and noticed during one of the live takes a guy right next to the main camera with a 70-200 lens looking into some sort of viewfinder extension.

Yea, I noticed it too: YouTube - Making The Pacific (HBO) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94et1Bb53mw)
It definitely looks like a 70-200L lens -- just around 14:17.

-- peer

James Miller
March 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM
It looks like a standard right angle viewing attachment for the optical finder. Not for use when mirror is up. Shame

Louis Maddalena
March 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah I think he is taking stills... the view finder that he is looking through looks to be attached to the viewfinder, not the lcd.

Tim Polster
March 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Good Catch.

That does look like he is using the viewfinder. False alarm.

Andrew Nicholas
March 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Also, according to the wiki page, The Pacific filed late 07 to early/mid 08, so the 5dmk2 wouldn't've been out by then.

Peer Landa
March 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Also, according to the wiki page, The Pacific filed late 07 to early/mid 08, so the 5dmk2 wouldn't've been out by then.

Yea, that's an even better catch.

-- peer

Mike Calla
March 9th, 2010, 01:32 PM
...however a few days ago i saw The Pacific title/intro and it was filmed on the 5D, i believe...

Google search it.. i can't find it anymore?? it was actually on the site of the production company that did the intro

Tim Polster
March 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Sorry once again. Yes I'm an idiot! You mean they don't stream these productions live?...

I guess I was swept away with the VDSLR craze.