View Full Version : MacBook not recognizing 7D

Don Bazley
March 15th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I am only putting thias post here because the thread for 'editing on a mac' seems to have been retired and relaced with a thread on FCP. Well, I edit with Adobe CS4 on my Mac. :)

I have a 7D and when I connect to my PC via USB the camera shows up fine. When I try the same thing with my Mac the camera never shows up. Any thoughts/ideas ?

Andy Wilkinson
March 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Have you loaded the Canon EOS utility on the MB?

Don Bazley
March 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM
No Andy, I haven't yet and I assume that may be part of it. I am going to load the EOS utility to the MB when I get home. My PC here at work recognized the cam without the utility being loaded. That's what got me curious.

Bill Davis
March 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM
My confusion is what you mean by "recognize the cam."

Most of us who work with the 5d or 7d shoot to the camera's compact flash cards - and just pull the card and put it in a standard USB compact flash card reader to ingest the footage into the desktop computer.

Or we "tether" to a laptop via the Canon software for monitoring and camera control which reads each clip (or photo) to the desktop instead of the camera card.

But that's not the same as having the software "recognize" the camera for editing actions as you would have a standard camcorder go under computer control for batch digitizing.

If you're just looking to mount the camera as a virtual drive, Macs should do that as soon as the USB camera to computer cable is plugged in and the camera is powered up.

Different process.

Don Bazley
March 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hey Bill! Great to see you here.

I was trying to attach the cam (7D) to the Mac to drag the files to my hard drive. It worked on my PC but when I plugged the cam into the Mac the camera never showed up. Well, since then I decided to do the right thing so I went and got a card reader. Problem solved. I was just trying to do the work without the right tools. :)

Now I am using the card reader with Neoscene which seems to be working fine. I was surprised to see the files created from Neoscene are twice the size of the originals. I thought Neoscene compressed the files. (?)

Christopher Drews
March 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Alternately, you can open up "Image Capture" in Applications.
This will immediately detect the 7D to transfer photos.
Comes in handy when you don't have your card reader.
-C