View Full Version : Laptop for Simple HD Video Editing

William Gallo
March 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I am looking to create simple, short productions on a tight budget with my Kodak Zi8 pocket camera. I'm not trying to make a movie here. Although my teeny little camera will record 1080, I will likely stick to the 720. (Youtube stuff. Windows Live Movie Maker kind of stuff.)

Am I unrealistic for thinking a laptop such as the one below is up to the task?

Set me straight, boys and girls.

Amazon.com: Acer Aspire AS5740-6025 15.6-Inch Laptop (Blue): Computer & Accessories

Kin Lau
March 16th, 2010, 07:14 AM
If you're patient, no problem. It's a bit better spec'd than mine, and I'm editing footage from my 7D and HF100 on it.

William Gallo
March 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM
The only part I would worry about is the video card. Will 128 MB of dedicated video RAM be enough, or should I get an uprade?

John Wiley
March 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm looking at something similar from HP, but with the 2.4ghz Core i5 and 1gb video card. First thing I'll do is buy a 4bg RAM module and swap it with one of the 2gb ones included. Then as soon as I get the money I'll swap the other one over as well.

I'll be editing HDV in Vegas and Premiere CS3. It's not gonna be fast but it can't be any slower than my 2ghz Core 2 duo. I'll keep both so that when one is rendering, I can be browsing the web, capturing, editing or doing my accounts on the other. While the speed boost won't be massive from the new laptop, i'll still double my productivity!

Noa Put
March 18th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I would definitely choose for the new I5 or I7 processors so the laptop you refer is ok, the only thing I"m not sure of is how it will handle mpeg4 foortage (your zi8 does record in that format no?) so that will be a strain on your laptop for sure. You could choose an codec like cineform's neoscene to eliminate that problem but harddrive space will become an issue fast meaning you need an external harddrive or a laptop that can hold two disks.

William Gallo
March 18th, 2010, 03:58 PM
good to hear that you think the i5 would work.

in layman's terms, could you explain what is involved in acquiring a codec?

would hard drive space necessarily be an issue if am only working on a single 5-10 minute production at a time?

Noa Put
March 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Neoscene converts your footage to a high quality avi file that edits as easily as dv, quality wise you won't see any difference between the original footage and the converted footage. Only in size which easily gets multiplied by 4.

You can download a fully functional timelimited trial on the cineform site to see for yourself, I have edited with canopus edius pro some time ago who also have a high quality codec similar to cineform, on a older q6600 pc I was able to easily run 4 hdv streams (converted to canopus own HQ avi codec) simultaneously with colourcorrection in realtime. Only 1 hour 20 min of footage was 60 gigs so you really need to think about sufficient storage if you plan on doing longer video.

You could also try to see if your NLE can handle the mpeg4 files in realtime on your laptop before you purchase a separate codec, you might even try canopus neo 2 booster which seems to handle mpeg4 files very well with using a special codec.

Laurence Kingston
March 20th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Another vote for Neo Scene here. Without it you'll be lucky if you get 4 or 5 frames per second in your preview window. With it, any fast laptop can handle the footage.

Noa Put
March 20th, 2010, 02:05 AM
you might even try canopus neo 2 booster which seems to handle mpeg4 files very well with using a special codec.

That should have been: "without" using a special codec

William Gallo
March 20th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Ok guys, thanks for the help. I just downloaded the trial version of Neoscene Cineform and converted my first mpeg4 footage to an .avi file.

Works like a charm. I can now edit files from my kodak zi8 in windows movie maker.

However, since I am just a rookie movie editor using the simplest of editing programs, is this really the cheapest option? I'd love to find a comparable option that wouldn't cost me 129 bucks.

Thanks for the help.

Noa Put
March 20th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Cheaper alternatives are AVCHD Upshift from NewBluefx, VoltaicHD from Shedworx (optimised for moviemaker) or Elecard Converter Studio AVC HD Edition. They all convert to mpeg2 files.

William Gallo
March 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
this looks great. thanks!

i'm gonna do a trial of voltaicHD.

EDIT: And now I just tried to convert my first h.264 MOV file from my Kodak Zi8, and it gives me an error message:

Error: Unable to parse input file *.359.mov* Please make sure the file is a valid video file.

Error details: Caught exception: no video data found

I checked the supported file types, and voltaichd says it converts zi8 files. Hmm.

Sareesh Sudhakaran
March 20th, 2010, 09:57 PM
if you're working on 8-10 minute clips at a time, you don't need any additional software from your editing suite. I suggest go for sony vegas if you can - it eats less resources and you can edit native h.264 with the laptop you suggest. no issues.

William Gallo
March 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM
would you suggest vegas pro, or could i get by with vegas movie studio?

Noa Put
March 21st, 2010, 03:34 AM
edius neo 2 booster claims to handle realtime avchd editing, might give their demo a try, think it's half the price of vegas. Vegas, if you can spare the cash, is a better alternative as it's a more complete product.

Sareesh Sudhakaran
March 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM
would you suggest vegas pro, or could i get by with vegas movie studio?

Vegas Pro runs like a dream and is easy to learn and use. Why not try the demo first and see if you like it?

William Gallo
March 22nd, 2010, 06:28 AM
I would, but I there's no way I'm spending $500 to get the real version. Just can't afford it.

Bryan Sellars
March 24th, 2010, 03:51 AM
A updated program that handles AVCHD well is Corel Video Studio Pro X3, you can down load a fully working demo from Corel.

With this program it's very simple to set the Smart Proxy files to any resolution that your processor is comfortable with, for any one not used to working with proxy files the program does a copy of the high definition video, the low resolution copies are then used for editing, this is all done in the background with very little disruption to the editing process, it then switches automatically back to the original high definition files to do the final render, so even fairly slow computers are able to edit AVCHD video.

Jack Zhang
March 26th, 2010, 01:43 AM
this looks great. thanks!

i'm gonna do a trial of voltaicHD.

EDIT: And now I just tried to convert my first h.264 MOV file from my Kodak Zi8, and it gives me an error message:

Error: Unable to parse input file *.359.mov* Please make sure the file is a valid video file.

Error details: Caught exception: no video data found

I checked the supported file types, and voltaichd says it converts zi8 files. Hmm.

The Zi8 really is very hard to find good conversion tools for. Something like the Canon 7D or 5D MK II imports very nicely into many video editors, but not the Zi8. I found Zi8 footage and tried to import into Vegas. The result: Very slow preview with no audio, and this was with Vegas' Quicktime plugin.

Noa Put
March 26th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I still think neoscene is your cheapest and hassle free option..

William Gallo
March 26th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Guys, I think you may be right.

Neoscene plus Windows Live Movie Maker might be the cheapest option here. But I'm also gonna try Neoscene plus some of the other budget video editing options, as well.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Brian Luce
April 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM
if you're working on 8-10 minute clips at a time, you don't need any additional software from your editing suite. I suggest go for sony vegas if you can - it eats less resources and you can edit native h.264 with the laptop you suggest. no issues.

Disagree. Even with i7, Vegas struggles with the codec. At least mine does. But for $50 you can get Epic and make proxies.

Many report conflicts with Neoscene.

Dale Guthormsen
April 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
good morning,,

do not know if this thread is finished:

I run Vegas with an I7 and use neoscene, Lots>

Just tried Edius and it runs real time so easily its a joke!!! No neo scene required. I think it would be ideal for a lap top!!!!!

I will be putting it on my lap top to be ceratin!

Vegas is a big more complete program in my book, but I will use both!!!