View Full Version : More droplet questions

Bob Kerner
March 21st, 2010, 05:58 PM
I've made a droplet to convert my Canon 7d's H.264 files into ProRes 422. I've used it before with success but never as a droplet and never with more than 4 clips.

How many clips can you realistically drop onto a droplet for trans-coding? I tried dumping 22 - 2-3 minutes clips onto the droplet and it caused the process to stall (spinning pinwheel icon..application not responding)

Similarly, when I brought the 22 clips into compressor, it took waaay longer than usual for compressor to respond when I dragged the setting into the batch window. Usually, I drag and drop the setting. Tonight, I'd drag the setting and the pinwheel would appear for a few seconds before it acknowledged the setting.

Is the conversion to ProRes that onerous on the processor that it would cause Compressor to slow down just by dropping the setting onto the source file?

Thanks
Bob

Bob Kerner
March 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
I'm baffled. It took almost an hour to to set up the job in compressor but it trans-coded all 22 clips in 17 minutes! So something about applying the 7d to Pro Res setting and/or dropping the clips onto the droplet caused the system to come to a crawl.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Liam Hall
March 23rd, 2010, 03:41 AM
I can't answer your question about droplets, but I can offer an alternative workflow using the new plug-in for FCP from Canon:

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=19356)

I find Mpeg Streamclip to be faster, but this is a more elegant solution.

Aaron Fowler
March 23rd, 2010, 06:05 AM
I've used the FCP plug-in with my 550D. I found no noticeable difference between the plug-in and Compressor.

I've had trouble with EOS H.264 files stalling Compressor (and I was only using a few short clips) but the plug-in looks a lot more stable from my first impressions.

Bob Kerner
March 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
I'll give the new log and transfer a try. As I mentioned in my 2d post, the actual transcoding went very quickly. Cannot understand why the system bogged down when I was setting up the job window in compressor or when I dragged the clips onto the droplet. Maybe it was a freak thing.