View Full Version : Zacuto Camera Shootout (5Dmk2, 7D, 1DmkIV, T2i, D3s, GH1 & Film)

Pages : [1] 2

Jenn Kramer
March 24th, 2010, 07:41 PM
The first episode of the Zacuto camera shootout is up. Some very cool results and I'm sure it'll only get more interesting.

The Great Camera Shootout 2010 | Zacuto (http://www.zacuto.com/shootout)

Jenn Kramer
March 24th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It's nice knowing that Phil's still shooting mainly with his 5D and the tests so far have certainly backed that up. Considering how fast this technology is developing it's great when a year and a half old camera is still state of the art.

Kirk Candlish
March 24th, 2010, 08:02 PM
In L.A. the 7D is seeing a lot more action in the big name studios, from what I've seen.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-hd/475557-now-jay-leno-7d-shoots-opening.html

And in the Indie market.

TINY FURNITURE - A Film By Lena Dunham (http://tinyfurniture.com/#news)

Kevin Dooley
March 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM
That actually makes sense since studios want 24p and the indie market typically looks for the best bang for the buck. That may not be true in the future though (at least for the studios) with the addition of 24p to the 5D.

Brian Boyko
March 24th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I'm not getting more than a frame per second viewing that video, even when I let it load up for a while. Is it on YouTube anywhere?

Jenn Kramer
March 24th, 2010, 09:57 PM
The 7D also outputs a higher HDMI resolution while shooting which makes larger, multi-person setups easier.

Jon Fairhurst
March 24th, 2010, 11:00 PM
With photo lenses, I prefer the 5D2, since it can use fast primes and deliver a wide image.

In Hollywood, some have access to matched sets of lenses for Super 35, which has a frame size similar to the 7D sensor. If I had access to those lenses, I'd shoot on the 7D too. :)

Ben Denham
March 25th, 2010, 05:36 AM
This is by far the most professional and relevant set of comparisons that I've seen so far. It is well worth waiting for this video to load if your connection isn't up to speed. Can't wait for part 2.

Jeff Murray
March 25th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I have to say I enjoyed the 'tests' and the video. For an amateur it's a fascinating comparison and rewarding to think that we can shoot on devices that approaches those used for the big screen.

The clarity of the film was stunning, especially in the light bulb scene.

Looking forward to episode 2.

Steven Fokkinga
March 25th, 2010, 06:51 AM
So was the film at the end about the ranch made with the 5D? That wasn't exactly clear to me from the comments...

Jerry Porter
March 25th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Yes it was shot with the 5D

Bryan McCullough
March 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Here's his blog post about it:

New 5DmkII firmware here finally! New Skywalker Ranch short “Above Skywalker” and Music Video “Miles Away” shot native 24p | Philip Bloom (http://philipbloom.co.uk/2010/03/18/24p/)

Kevin Dooley
March 25th, 2010, 11:53 AM
That was a great comparison - having film as a standard and then seeing each camera in detail was very helpful. It's hard to go wrong with any of them (though the non-Canon choices definitely had some drawbacks I didn't like in compression and latitude). They each had their own set of strengths and weaknesses.

Can't wait for the Color, Key, and Resolution tests on April 7th!

Stan Chase
March 25th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Here's his blog post about it:
I think instead of the one you posted, this is the one that you were referring to:

The tale of Lucasfilm, Skywalker Ranch, Star Wars and Canon DSLRs on a 40 foot screen! (http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/12/12/skywalker/)

Bryan McCullough
March 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I think instead of the one you posted, this is the one that you were referring to:

The tale of Lucasfilm, Skywalker Ranch, Star Wars and Canon DSLRs on a 40 foot screen! (http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/12/12/skywalker/)

Well I got there from his link on this page:

Above Skywalker | Philip Bloom (http://philipbloom.co.uk/dslr-films/above-skywalker/)

So blame Mr. Bloom. :D

Ben Denham
March 25th, 2010, 07:42 PM
It's hard to go wrong with any of them (though the non-Canon choices definitely had some drawbacks I didn't like in compression and latitude). They each had their own set of strengths and weaknesses.

I think the "baked-in look" of the GH1 is really quite limiting. Also the banding around the light bulb with that camera doesn't give you much confidence in the codec. While there are strengths and weakness in the other comparisons the GH1 seems to be a clear loser.

Stan Chase
March 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
So blame Mr. Bloom. :D
Oh I blame Philip..blame him for making me spend good money on stuff I don't really need, dreaming I could get results as good as his. ;D

Terry Lee
March 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Someone in a post below the shootout video brought up an interesting point that I may not have enough experience to know weather or not it would be critical to the camera's preformance itself. They noticed that there was very little motion in any of the clips. Thus there was no motion of say cars, or people walking etc.. Like I said, I don't necessarily have as much experience with many camera as most people here but I would like to know if this should be an issue to be tested.

Leonard Levy
March 28th, 2010, 06:55 PM
My impression was that the test was not designed to catch the weaknesses of the DSLR's very much - No motion, and especially no detailed surfaces likely to create moire. The latter is a big one. Someone told me yesterday about a 2 camera corp CEO interview with EX1/Letus combo and a 7D. There was a barely noticable pattern to the CEO's shirt that went beserk on the 7D and was completely unusable.

Kevin Dooley
March 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Ummm... I thought it was pretty clear what was tested. At no point did they mention testing motion, yet several times they mentioned that they were testing latitude versus film. From what they said I'm pretty sure the next part of the shootout will test color rendition and their ability to be used in Chroma keying...

Ben Denham
March 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Yes I don't think we can pass judgment on the tests until we've seen all three episodes. If movement and complex patterns haven't been covered then maybe we can rip into Zacuto for not giving us all the relevant test material.

Having said that I think most people who have been following the DSLR thing have seen the jello effect and moire issues and we know that while film may still stutter on a pan it won't give you any moire whatsoever. It should be mentioned but I think it would be kind of pointless to do extensive testing to show us what we already know.

Terry Lee
March 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
At no point did they mention testing motion

Exactly, thats why i'm interested in if whether that particular aspect could be an issue.

Régine Weinberg
March 29th, 2010, 04:16 AM
u got it
the XL H1A is a thee CCD
The 5D has a 24x36 3744x5616 pixel CCD

We are using here 1920x1020 just the center
so all glasses are damm sharp, no wonder

the yello hmm there is an after effects workaround not bad

please keep in mind in the beginnig in the consumer market
there was 1 CCD with all the problems like with movement

here we have 1 CCD made for stills and we are using the Center
got it there is a reason for a 3CCD

the hype, DOF, Zcuto, focus pulling and the entry price is low

pimp it up and u have 4K like a XL H
and focus pullig u can do with her too
have other glasses too
all ergonomics and a viewfinder
in a position I'm used too

using a 5D rigged for foto why for
just for stills on the scene a D300S is great
even a D 90 can do the job

sorry for the typos strange keyboard

guess what it is a still camera, and all I can tell u
movements, like crowds of reds here are no job for this beauty.
As i do not own the 5d nor the 7d not
all this stuff pimped her up wait for Zacuto LOL
he is allowed to do this I don't have a relation to Mister big B the 5D guru
have a nice day

Evan Donn
March 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Poetic, almost, but inaccurate. The 5/7D don't use 1920x1080 in just the center of the chip - they use the entire chip area, but skip some of the lines. With a chip of this size and resolution I don't think there'd be any advantage to having three chips, there is plenty of resolution to handle all three colors on the single chip. The problems with aliasing/moire are due to the chip having too much resolution for the hardware to process it all properly.

And sure, with motion and resolution tests these cameras will fall far short of film... but it won't really matter. The fact is they're good enough to actually make a shootout like this worthwhile, and despite their shortcomings they can be used to produce images that an audience will love - all at a price that many people can afford.

Bryan McCullough
March 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know what the release schedule is for the remaining parts?

Kevin Dooley
March 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
They mentioned on their Twitter stream that part 2 would be released on April 7th.

Manus Sweeney
March 30th, 2010, 03:46 AM
"Each webisode of the series features various controlled camera assessment tests which include: resolution, latitude, sensitivity, speed & ultra high speed, noise, color & green screen. "
the episodes will be every 2 weeks on fridays

Terry Lee
March 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Everyone is waiting for the T2i tests. I am anyway..

Terry Lee
April 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM
They are releasing the 2nd episode at 3pm today. They are rendering the final footage now.

Tony Davies-Patrick
April 7th, 2010, 05:09 PM
It was nice to see the incredible "filming in the dark" capability of the Nikon D3s in the second part of the Zacuto shootout using only a lighter flame to film the actor's face in total darkness. This just shows what the wonderful Nikon D3s (and the Canon Mk IV) can do...beyond the limits of film-motion cameras:

The Great Camera Shootout 2010 | Zacuto (http://www.zacuto.com/shootout)

Don Miller
April 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Really well done It's great to see Nikon pushing past Canon. The upcoming 1Ds4 should be incredible.

Don Miller
April 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM
My impression was that the test was not designed to catch the weaknesses of the DSLR's very much - No motion, and especially no detailed surfaces likely to create moire. The latter is a big one. Someone told me yesterday about a 2 camera corp CEO interview with EX1/Letus combo and a 7D. There was a barely noticable pattern to the CEO's shirt that went beserk on the 7D and was completely unusable.

Yep, these are fiddly cine camera's, not video workhorses. It wonderful to have a choice now. We've had competent reasonable cost video for many years now. Do you want a temperamental race horse or a well behaved plow horse?

Tim Polster
April 10th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Yes, I don't think I would feel comfortable showing on a job with just one of the vDSLRs. I am looking at incorporating these into my work, but will always have a "video" camera around just in case a "weakness" is encountered.

I am enjoying the testing, very happy they are doing it and think it is pretty effective marketing for Zacuto.

And I agree, they are showing the best side of the vDSLRs. But maybe that is the only way they should be used, pretty much like a motion picture treatment, and not a video role.

Matthew Roddy
April 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I'm enjoying watching the videos.

But...

Kind of bugs me they don't seem to be using res charts for their resolution tests (in pt.3). They're just going to blow up parts of existing footage they shot. That's kind of the first thing they're doing that I'm much less than impressed with.

And, I agree that they should do some high-speed motion and camera pans, etc. If this is really a "shoot-out," why not? It would be HIGHLY educational to see the comparisons.

I do look forward to the green-screen stuff.

Overall, I think they are doing a good job, and a VERY good job adding to hype.

John Mastrogiacomo
April 11th, 2010, 12:37 AM
This is by far the most professional and relevant set of comparisons that I've seen so far. It is well worth waiting for this video to load if your connection isn't up to speed. Can't wait for part 2.

Put your glass down and don't drink too much Zacuto cool-aid.

All these tests are meant to show the strengths of the DSLR's.

The third test is going to focus on color and chroma keying.

The big achilles heal of these cameras is the morie/alaising and rolling shutter. These are MAJOR problems, yet they are not addressing them.

I can understand it, because Zacuto makes money selling DSLR accessories.

Like I said earlier, don't drink too much kool-aid.

Cris Daniels
April 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I love these little SLRs but please.....

At 1:22 on the second video, you can see the jello brick walls, it is a shot with Phillip Bloom in their studio. This is the kind of ridiculous nonsense these cameras do, I certainly hope will be covered. Stu has been vocal about this kind of thing (and the aliasing issues), hopefully the whole thing wont be glossed over in the attempt not to hurt the feelings of anyone.

The lightbulb on 35mm Kodak is so superior I don't know where to start.

The other problem is looking at these files on small screens. If they could split screen the ISO's it might help for us web viewers, I can't always see the difference on a laptop. Especially when I know there is compression involved for web delivery.

Ive done some green screen stuff with the 5DMK2 and it actually came out pretty good, so I dont expect that that camera will fail terribly, even with the heavily compressed 4:2:0. The Nikon and Panasonic are lousy, I cant believe the banding of the GH1, horrendous.

One thing that I though was really interesting was that Nikon noise reduction. The problem at least to me, with video noise is the discreet patterns of the noise, which are much uglier than film. If they can build algorithms that deal with these patterns, digital will really make some leaps if they can randomize and desaturate the noise.

That and please deal with the darn highlight rolloff, to me that is the dead giveaway of video.

Another thing I did not quite understand was the concept of upping the ISO, and leaving the lens wide open at f1.4. If I were shooting in low light, I would love that I could bump up the ISO (aka gain) and stop down to something like f4 or 5.6. I dont know what anyone learned by allowing the highlights to become 3-4 stops overexposed. You would get a true feel for the video noise performance by looking at a shot with a correct exposure.

Some of their noise, in the area of the frame that which is supposed to be pure black, is exacerbated by the radical over exposure of the video. I don't see how using a radically incorrect exposure teaches you anything, much of that shadow noise would be crushed.

Brian Luce
April 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Yes, I don't think I would feel comfortable showing on a job with just one of the vDSLRs. I am looking at incorporating these into my work, but will always have a "video" camera around just in case a "weakness" is encountered.

Yep, the DSLR's can REALLY burn you. For me, moire pops up where you don't expect it and then sometimes does NOT show up where you would expect it. Temperamental little bugger.

Ben Denham
April 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM

The big achilles heal of these cameras is the morie/alaising and rolling shutter. These are MAJOR problems, yet they are not addressing them.

I am not in the habit of drinking anyone's cool aid. I have come across the limitations of the 5D in practice so I have no illusions about the camera. I don't own any Zacuto products and don't have any plans to buy any, and yes, I can see how this is good marketing for Zacuto. However, having said all of that, these are still very professional comparisons and well worth watching.

Brian Luce
April 11th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Is the chroma key test published? Or upcoming?

Chris Barcellos
April 12th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Yep, the DSLR's can REALLY burn you. For me, moire pops up where you don't expect it and then sometimes does NOT show up where you would expect it. Temperamental little bugger.

The trick is to learn why and how that occurs so you can be in control.

Chris Barcellos
April 12th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Is the chroma key test published? Or upcoming?

I am guessing there will be a lot of surprises on that. I was surprized about two weeks into having the camera (5D), when I shot a promo for a contest. Now I am not saying we shot it perfect, and that there aren't some problems, but we shot this in a quick set up in my garage and with the screen to close, and with all the wrong light, and I pulled the key in Vegas.... As a result I am pretty sure there will be good results from their test. Here is the promo:

Sacramento Film Festival Promo Shot with Canon 5D MarkII on Vimeo

Steve Kahn
April 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Did I hear the video right (I believe they said) that the 5D et. al. were comparable to film on the 40 foot screen?

Were the DSLR videos up-resed to 4k for 4k projection alongside the film clips? Did they use a 4k projector?

Kirk Candlish
April 18th, 2010, 01:20 AM

I agree completely.

Zacuto has maybe another year before the market tanks. His stuff looks cool, works relatively well but is terribly overpriced. With enough of this kind of promo he'll make a lot of money in the next year.

Then the real changes in the market will begin:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/476636-sony-prototype-cinema-camera-shown-nab.html

Steven Fokkinga
April 18th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Did I hear the video right (I believe they said) that the 5D et. al. were comparable to film on the 40 foot screen?

Were the DSLR videos up-resed to 4k for 4k projection alongside the film clips? Did they use a 4k projector?

No, it was a 2K environment:

"The test results were projected in a 2K theatrical environment at three screening locations: Stag Theater at Skywalker Ranch, LucasFilms Ltd., AFI (American Film Institute) Theater in Hollywood and the FilmWorkers Astro Color Timing Theater in Chicago."

Steve Kahn
April 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Then to me a 4k projection test would be very interesting.

Ben Denham
May 30th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Episode 3 has been posted, (or as the zacuto people call it "webisode 3", just silly really isn't it?).

The Great Camera Shootout 2010 - Film Vs DSLR Comparison | Zacuto (http://www.zacuto.com/shootout)

Bryan McCullough
May 30th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Episode 3 has been posted, (or as the zacuto people call it "webisode 3", just silly really isn't it?).

The Great Camera Shootout 2010 - Film Vs DSLR Comparison | Zacuto (http://www.zacuto.com/shootout)
Zacuto didn't coin that term, it's been around for quite a while. I like it.

Ben Denham
May 30th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Call me a purist but I believe you coin a new word when it is actually need one. "Episode" is just as good for a series of shows on web or TV.

Was it just me or did the D3 do something horrible to the skin tones in the colour test?

Tony Davies-Patrick
May 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Episode, webisode, part 3 or whatever you want to call it, was the best of the bunch so far. Very interesting comparisons and conclusions.

Ben Denham
May 30th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I agree there was some great stuff in this episode. Although, as with the other episodes, I would have liked to have heard more from the film-makers in the theatre. Their comments are really invaluable in thinking about these cameras.

I would also have liked to have seen the un-keyed green screen footage to see how much the funky colours in the girl's jeans were caused by pulling the key.

The episode also reinforces the value of a high-quality intermediate codec (prores, cineform etc.). Just because, with faster computers and newer software, you can edit the native files, doesn't mean you should.