View Full Version : Sony EX3 + Red Rock M2e + Carl Zeiss = music video

Brent Hallman
March 25th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Here is a music video I just completed for the Canadian Band "Stringer Lake".

This was shot in 1 day in northern Ontario in March 2010.

Enjoy.....

YouTube - Stringer Lake; Something's Off Today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Uq2UFNROg)

Brian Chow
March 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I also have the ex3 with M2e. Have you used yours with Nikon lenses? If so, how does it compare with the Zeiss? Is it worth it? Sorry for all the questions but I've thought about investing into some Zeiss primes but wasn't sure. Do you ever have a problem getting edge to edge focus with your rig, It never seems to be perfect for me and I've had it now for over a year.

Thanks,
Brian

Brent Hallman
March 27th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Brian,

I have only used Zeiss lenses (I bought the full Zeiss RR bundle), so I do not know about Nikkon lenses other than I have the Nikkon mount. I am thinking about getting a wide angle Nikkon lens though.

I did a lot of reading before I bought the set and came to the conclussion that Zeiss seemed like the best glass.

This video was my first real use of the whole setup... and I did not have any trouble with focus or anything like that. My only problem was that I had to change the batteries for the GG 3/4's of the way through the shoot.

Also, make sure you are zoomed to Z77 with the EX3.

Vincent Oliver
March 31st, 2010, 06:05 AM
Don't buy a Nikon wide angle lens for the EX3, the results will disappoint. Lenses with a longer focal length of 85mm work the best. Using a Nikon lens designed for stills photography will have a magnification factor of X5 so fitting a 20mm Nikkor will in effect make it a 100mm lens.

Optically, wide angle lenses do not perform that well on the EX3 _ I know I have tried them all from 16mm through to 55mm. Although having said that, the 55mm Micro Nikkor is very good for close up work.

Brent Hallman
March 31st, 2010, 11:15 AM
Vincent, are you talking about attaching the wide angle lens directly to the camera?

I want to put the lens on my Redrock M2e so I don't see that as a factor on the EX3 (as the EX3 is recording the image from the ground glass).

Anyone have any experience/recomendations for a wide angle lens for the Redrock 35mm adapter?

Thanks,

Brent

Vincent Oliver
March 31st, 2010, 03:00 PM
Yes, Brent I was thinking that you would attach the Nikon lens directly to the camera via an Nikon to EX3 adaptor. I am not familiar with the RedRock, so ignore everything I said, the Nikon wide angle lenses should work fine. Oooops!

Brent Hallman
April 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Has anyone had experience with the Fujinon XS8X4AS-XB8 8x for Sony PMW-EX3? (wide angle lens that fits on to the body of the ex3).

Any thoughts?

Fujinon | XS8X4AS-XB8 8x for Sony PMW-EX3 | XS8X4AS-XB8 | B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/594252-REG/Fujinon_XS8X4AS_XB8_XS8X4AS_XB8_8x_for_Sony.html#features)