View Full Version : Panasonic AF100 and Nanoflash

Ed David
April 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Jan Critterdon said that the uncompressed coming out of the HD-SDI port will work with the nanoflash . I think this 4/3 in camera combined with the nanoflash will be in essence the Red Scarlet everyone dreams of. Around 4k acquisition and ability to capture to a great codec that you can edit in 1080p.

Please I hope that I can hook your device up to this camera that's going to be as revolutionary as the DVX100 was back in the early days.

Henry Olonga
April 17th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Hey Ed - I believe that this is possible as Jan dealt with this. It is it's biggest selling point.This will make the camera a camera capable of capturing imgaes as good as what - close to what a Panavision Gensis produces perhaps?

I asked whether it was 8 bit or 10 bit and never got a direct answer - will ask again. So perhaps £ 5000 for the camcorder and £ 2300 for a Nano and you get a ready to shoot full HD powerhouse capable of producing stunning images. There will be no excuses now.....

Luben Izov
April 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Henry,
I looked at this presentation the other day and yes is a very good camera and with the nanoFlash would be awesome! I think you would be able to find an answer to your questions just by watching this video...

FreshDV NAB 2010 - Panasonic AF100, 3D and HPX-370 at FreshDV (http://www.freshdv.com/2010/04/freshdv-nab-2010-panasonic-af100-3d-and-hpx-370.html)

Bruce Schultz
April 17th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Around 4k acquisition and ability to capture to a great codec that you can edit in 1080p. .

Just curious, how do you get to a 4K acquisition with a codec (AVCPRO/AVCCAM) that only supports 1920x1080? The NanoFlash as well only records 4:2:2 XDCAM HD @ 1920x1080. So how do you get 4K? Are you assuming that the larger chip (APS-C or H) size gets you there, or is Panasonic telling you that the HDSDI tap will send out a 4K signal?

Dan Keaton
April 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Dear Bruce,

It was nice meeting you at NAB.

HD-SDI is either 1280 x 720 (720 mode) or 1920 x 1080 (1080 mode).

If a camera has HD-SDI then they have to output a signal that meets these standards.

If one has a 4K camera, and a HD-SDI output, then the camera must downres.

Rafael Amador
April 18th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Right.
That is what we want, but without the internal recorder system (16b audio?).
Good lens, good captor and processor, and HD/SD-SDI out; then the recorder of your choice.
With products like the NANO, Ki-Pro, etc in the market, i see the camera business slipping from the hands of the big manufacturers.
rafael

Henry Olonga
April 18th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Hi Henry,
I looked at this presentation the other day and yes is a very good camera and with the nanoFlash would be awesome! I think you would be able to find an answer to your questions just by watching this video...

FreshDV NAB 2010 - Panasonic AF100, 3D and HPX-370 at FreshDV (http://www.freshdv.com/2010/04/freshdv-nab-2010-panasonic-af100-3d-and-hpx-370.html)

Thanks Luben,but that does not give us an indication as to whether the HD-SDI is 8 bit or 10 bit unless I missed it.Too early to say perhaps. Jan keeps saying that H264 is the best longop codec out there.......I reckon CD have something to say about that!!!!!!
Best wishes.

Dan Keaton
April 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Dear Henry,

In our opinion, based on substantial field experience:

H.264 at lower bit-rates is more efficient than MPEG-2.

The nanoFlash gives you a very wide variety of bit-rates and quality choices.

The Panasonic camera appears to be limited to a maximum of 24 Mbps. We offer bit-rates up to 280 Mbps, up to 180 Mbps in Long-GOP.

It would be tough to argue that 24 Mbps H.264 is superior in quality to 180 Mbps Long-GOP, or 280 Mbps I-Frame Only.

But, most importantly, MPEG-2 is easier to edit.

Rafael Amador
April 18th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks Luben,but that does not give us an indication as to whether the HD-SDI is 8 bit or 10 bit unless I missed it.Too early to say perhaps. Jan keeps saying that H264 is the best longop codec out there.......I reckon CD have something to say about that!!!!!!
Best wishes.
As pointed by Dan, H264 is better than MPEG-2 for low data rate compression (web video like).
No advantage when you are working with enough data rate.
In fact h264 is much complicated to compress and de-compress than MPEG-2.

HD/SD-SDI output 10b YUV, and the "AVCPRO/AVCCA" can support 4K.
rafael

Henry Olonga
April 19th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for your input guys - my nanoflash produces images that absolutely smash the AVCHD of the HFS10 so I don't believe that H264 is superior when put up against Nanoflash's best bit rates. It's just not possible but perhaps she was referring to a given price and performance point.

Dean Harrington
April 20th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Jan Critterdon said that the uncompressed coming out of the HD-SDI port will work with the nanoflash . I think this 4/3 in camera combined with the nanoflash will be in essence the Red Scarlet everyone dreams of. Around 4k acquisition and ability to capture to a great codec that you can edit in 1080p.

Please I hope that I can hook your device up to this camera that's going to be as revolutionary as the DVX100 was back in the early days.

Good to see Panasonic back on track with another, highly likely, industry uplight for indi-film makers. I think it's going to be very interesting next Fall with the Scarlet and this cam coming out.

Aaron Newsome
April 20th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I would bet the house that the AF100 H.264 is 8bit. It's a tossup though whether the HD-SDI is 8 or 10bit though. Doesn't matter with the nano or XDR though. 8bit is the best you can do.

Rafael Amador
April 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM
The H264 at 24Mbps is 8b 420.
No sense to make 10b or 422 at such data rate.
Cameras output 10b through the SDI.(the process is done at 12 or 14b).
How PANASONIC gonna put 8b SDI output, when 200$$ cameras output 10b Unc?
Panasonic knows that people look at this camera with something like the NANO or Ki-Pro in mind.
rafael

Aaron Newsome
April 28th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Yes you can have a camera that has 4k worth of data collected at the sensor, and it downrezes that data into a 1080p package in real time. Entirely possible.

Dean Harrington
May 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
There was a system developed for the DVX-100 some years ago that took the image information directly from the censors and delivered high resolution images off that censor. Any one remember what happened that that delivery system and what it was called? I could be wrong but I believe it was 4.4.4 deliverable? I also recall it required a modification to the camera. The concept and/or technology was bought out from the original developer (seller signed a non-disclosure agreement I believe) by an unnamed company and the whole thing has disappeared from the camera making scene.

Pietro Jona
May 12th, 2010, 02:19 AM
It was called Andromeda. 4:4:4 out of a usb I think I remember.

Dean Harrington
May 12th, 2010, 05:43 AM
It was called Andromeda. 4:4:4 out of a usb I think I remember.

I wonder what the full story is on this as that was very promising!!!

Dan Keaton
September 30th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Dear Friends,

These are exciting times as new cameras are coming out with larger sensors.

One example is the Panasonic AF100/AF101, which is generating quite a lot of excitement.

The image quality and versatility of the AF100/AF101 can be increased by adding a nanoFlash.

Here are some reasons to add the nanoFlash to the new camera, which is scheduled to ship in December.

And of course, the nanoFlash may be used with a wide variety of other cameras
and may be upgraded to nano3D, if desired.

• Improvement in Image Quality
......... 4:2:2 versus recording 4:2:0 in-camera
......... High-Bit Rate recordings
.............1. Up to 280 Megabits per second (Mbps)
.............2. In camera recordings limited to 21 Mbps Average, 24 Mbps max, AVCHD
......... Very low noise recordings
......... Free from Artifacts
......... Can handle excessive detail, excessive motion
• Versatility
......... Choose bit rate to suit your needs, 18 to 280 Mbps
......... Balance image quality versus recording time
......... May be used with a wide variety of other cameras
......... Many advanced recording options
......... Excellent Playback Device, far better than Blu-ray
• Fast and Easy Editing
......... Fast, Responsive Editing (more responsive than editing AVCHD)
......... Simple Workflow – Just Drag and Drop footage into your editor
......... Widely supported by all professional Non-Linear Editors
......... Free “Re-Wrap” tools: MOV>MXF for both PC and Mac
• Uses Lower Cost, Higher Performance CompactFlash cards
......... CompactFlash cards are much faster than available SDXC cards
• Long Recording Time
......... 5.3 Hours at Broadcast Quality 50 Mbps, 4:2:2
......... 2.6 Hours at 100 Mbps, 4:2:2
......... 1 Hour at 280 Mbps 4:2:2
• Supports Pulldown Removal and native recording
......... Records native 1080p29.97, 1080p25, 1080p23.976
......... Records native 720p29.97, 720p25, 720p23.976
• Supports Time-Lapse Recordings
• Supports Image Flip, Image Flop, Image Flip + Image Flop
• Supports Hot Swapping of CompactFlash cards
• Offers Redundant Recording Capability, in-camera becomes the backup
• May be upgraded to nano3D for Stereoscopic Projects

Jim Bridges
October 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Well put, my AF100 is on order. The only reason I am getting one is because of the HDSDI port for my Nano. I imagine the pictures will be fantastic.
Now to work on some clean looking powering options.

Mark Job
October 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Hi Dan & Jim:
Does anyone know yet what are the preliminary output specifications for the HD-SDI on the new AF 100/101 ? I understand the internal camera recorder to be using the AVCHD Codec @ 4:2:0 color space (??)

Dan Keaton
October 9th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Dear Mark,

I understand that it is 4:2:2, 8-Bit.

Jim Bridges
October 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM
That is what I heard as well.

Jim Bridges
November 2nd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Any word if there is a SWIT-style battery with a power plug being made for the AF100. I am trying to cut down how many different batteries I will need for this camera. Thanks for any help

Ned Soltz
November 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Since the camera doesn't ship until Dec 27, it is a little premature to see third-party accessories for it yet. I presume that we will see a ton of accessories given the anticipated popularity of the AF-100. What and when is the question.

Jim Bridges
November 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Actually Ned, I am starting to see "3rd Party" assesories popping up as well as different price point camera packages. My question was if anyone has heard a battery available or in development for the AF100 that can run both the Nano or AF100. I apologize if I wasn't clear enough.

Dan Keaton
November 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Dear Jim,

While it is nice to use one battery to power both, we are working on a nice, small, light-weight battery system for the nanoFlash so that the camera can be powered with its normal battery and the nanoFlash powered by a 3.8 ounce battery.

We are very enthused about the AF100/AF101 and we will fully support it.

The nanoFlash is an ideal companion to the AF100/AF101.

Jim Bridges
November 3rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
Great news Dan, thanks for the responce. Any price point or battery duration specs yet?

Dan Keaton
November 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Dear Jim,

It will record about three hours.

It is our existing 2-cell Lithium-Ion battery and a soft-case for the battery.

The battery is around $60, I do not have a price for the soft-case.