View Full Version : Definitive Final Cut Settings or Tutorial?

Jeff DePonte
April 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hi friends,

Is there a definitive list of the best settings to use in Final Cut with nanoFlash-recorded material? Or a tutorial video that covers this? For example, I found this tutorial on Vimeo to help you prepare HD content for uploading:

HD Video Encoding for Vimeo using Compressor on Vimeo
HD Video Encoding for Vimeo using Compressor on Vimeo

You can actually play the video as you make the changes in Compressor. (And, when you're done, you have a Droplet on your desktop. Future video files that you create need only be dragged onto the droplet to be compressed for Vimeo!)

I think that there are more than a few folks asking these same questions about Final Cut and the nano. Dan, do you think anyone ad CD might be able to offer up a tutorial? Might save a lot of head scratching...

Aloha—

Jeff9]

Rafael Amador
April 24th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Hi Jeff,
The process is OK, but I would take few things else in to account:
- I would let the Key-frames: Automatic.
One of the reasons of the Two pass encoding is optimize the number of K-Frames. Setting any value, prevents the benefits of the Double Pass.
We have no elements to set a number. Think that with MPEG-2 we are setting a K-frame every 15fs, at the most. The number of K-Frames necessary for a good compression will depends very much of the kind of footage.
- When working with 1080 stuff, is very important to set "Resize Filter: Best" (Frame Control). The quality of the downscaling is critical.
- When working with Progressive footage, set "Output fields: Same as source". Other wise you will de-interlacing Progressive footage. This operation would degrade the picture.
rafael

Dan Keaton
April 27th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Dear Jeff,

I would love to produce the tutorial that you suggested.

However, to be very practical, we are quite swamped at this time.

Jeff DePonte
April 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks, Dan, I can only imagine how busy you guys must be!

Not that I want to or could do it, but might you be willing to farm that out to one of the smarter folks on this forum? There is a such a wealth of knowledge in this community.

Aloha—

Jeff

Dan Keaton
April 28th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Dear Jeff,

It would be great if one of our knowledgeable users created a video tutorial.

Ronald Jackson
July 6th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Doesn't seem to have been any progress on this thread. A basic step by step FCP guide would be very welcome by me at least.

Have just got my nanoFlash for my "old" XLH1 and am about to invest in FCS/FCP. Lots of "fear and trepidation".

Ron