View Full Version : DVD Studio Pro HD DVDs

David Elsea
April 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hey everybody... I've just started using DVD Studio Pro... I've been trying to burn a 12 minute 720p video.
I've compressed it using Compressor H.264 For DVD Studio Pro. My DVD players and Blu-ray player will not read the disc. When I attempt to play it back on my Mac Pro, it freezes and stutters along. My preferences all seem to be set up correctly, to burn HD DVDs... Any help would be much appreciated.

By the way, I was able to burn the same H.264 file to iDVD, and the DVD plays fine in all of my players... Just the quality is not what it could be going through DVDSP... Anyway, thanks in advance for any tips...

David E.

Shaun Roemich
April 24th, 2010, 12:37 PM
First, a DVD player WON'T recognize an HD-DVD burned to DVD media. The file system is different.
BluRay players also probably won't play HD-DVD or HD-DVD on DVD media. BluRay "won" the format war.
If you own an XBox360 with external HD-DVD player, it may well work there as I've had good luck distributing to a friend some stuff I shot for him in HD.

iDVD will be burning an SD DVD copy of your material after recompressing your media to DVD compliant MPEG-2 video.

Don't know why the Mac Pro is "choking".

David Elsea
April 25th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry Shaun... When I said "HD DVDs", I meant HD based DVDs. Is this the same thing?
If so, I never realized that Apple "picked a side" in the format war. Still, after reading your post,
I went back to the Apple website, and found this:

"While an HD-based DVD can provide excellent HD video output, it can only be played on devices designed to specifically support it, such as Apple DVD Player. SD-based DVDs can be played on all DVD players, including those that play HD-based DVDs."

Guess that pretty much answers my questions. Thanks for responding, Shaun.

David E.

Chris Adeyefa
May 14th, 2010, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=David Elsea;1519226]
"While an HD-based DVD can provide excellent HD video output, it can only be played on devices designed to specifically support it, such as Apple DVD Player. SD-based DVDs can be played on all DVD players, including those that play HD-based DVDs."

Guess that pretty much answers my questions. Thanks for responding, Shaun.
QUOTE]
Sorry if this makes me sound like a newby (Because i am) but... Does this mean that the HD footage that i get from my 1080 24p camera will not be able to be burned to a DVD unless it is downcoverted to SD Footage (eg. 4:3) ? Or will it still display as 16:9 on the Dvd player?

John C. Chu
May 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
DVD Studio Pro 4.1.2 supports creating HD-DVD format discs.

Part of the spec is burning HD-DVD formatted discs on regular 4.7g or Dual Layer DVD's that will play back in HD on Toshiba HD-DVD players.

These HD-DVD formatted discs on DVD-R will not play on regular DVD players but they will play back on the Macintosh itself.

Shaun Roemich
May 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Does this mean that the HD footage that i get from my 1080 24p camera will not be able to be burned to a DVD unless it is downcoverted to SD Footage (eg. 4:3) ? Or will it still display as 16:9 on the Dvd player?

John is correct. As well, you can CHOOSE how program material (and menus for that matter) play back - 4:3 or 16:9 in the Inspector.

Select Display Mode in the Inspector after selecting the Track in the Outline