View Full Version : Time Lapse with GL2

Lee Tamer
April 26th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Whats the best way to record a time lapse sequence with this camera?

Tom Blizzard
April 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hi Lee,
I've used it this way many times and it works great.

1. Canon calls it "Recording with the Interval timer" rather than time lapse.
( I don't know why)

2. Go into the cam set up submenu and select "INTERVAL"

3. Set it to "ON"

4.Your will return to the "interval time menu" and you select the interval
to want. ( I picked 30 sec)

5. Select the "REC TIME" (I picked 2 sec.)

6. Close the menu.

I'm copying this out of the manual..... as I mentioned, I think I picked 2 seconds of exposure every 30 seconds.

Hope this helps. You've gotta go into it and just work with it a bit to get familier with the way it works.

Richard Amirault
April 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM
You can't get "real" time lapse video out of the GL2. Yes, it has (what Canon calls) a time lapse mode .. but you may very likely not be happy with the result.

"real" time lapse is one (or maybe two) *frames* every xx seconds/minutes/hours. This is *not* what you'll get with the GL2. I think the smallest segment is, what, one half second .. that's 15 frames.

IMHO, you would be better off using a still digital camera with either an external interval timer or a special, built-in timer called an intervalometer. Many point and shoot digital cameras now come with them. Not sure about DLSR's.

Either of those cameras can give you full HD time lapse video .. after importing the still images into a video editor.

Don Palomaki
April 29th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Over that real-time period? Some NLE and other software capture products will allow time laps capture, one frame every specified interval froma live video stream, or froma capture tape. That maybe the best bet for true time lapse.

Richard Amirault
May 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Don't know what you mean by "over that real-time period"?

Don Palomaki
May 25th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Over what period of time to you want the time-lapse to capture.
e.g., for a real world time of 8 hours, captured at one frame per minute you have 60x8 = 480 frames or 16 seconds of video.

Dale Guthormsen
May 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Just a thought,

Scenalyzer will let you record time lapse directly into your computer and you can control your time frame.

The program is pretty cheap, perhaps try a demo on it!