View Full Version : Ipad, will you use one.

Denny Kyser
April 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I am wondering if there will be any demand for the Ipad for video professionals. It seems to be quite a toy, but really considering it if I can use it as a tool for my business. I was wondering if they will be used to show trailers at receptions, or slidesows etc.

Chris Davis
April 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I considered it, but you could buy a much more useful laptop or convertible tablet/laptop for the same or less money. It just seems too "gadgety". Maybe if the price were more along the lines of $200-$250 I'd feel differently.

When the video iPods came out, I thought "I'll show my demos on it!" and bought one. Then when the iPod Touch came out, I thought "I'll show my demos on it!" and bought one. You know how many times I showed a demo to a prospect on either? Not once. I'm not making the same mistake a third time. Maybe someday I'll buy one, but it will for my personal use, not because I've convinced myself "I need it for business".

Waldemar Winkler
April 27th, 2010, 09:00 PM
The usefulness of the iPad for independent videographers will primarily depend upon two factors:
1) Will programmers be willing to produce the software to make the iPad a useful tool?
2) Will Apple Computer allow integration of this new software to the iPad?

Historically Apple Computer has not allowed iPod programmers the latitude to expand its use beyond Apple's corporate designated limits, which don't appear to invite innovation. My Pod touch, for example, had a pre-installed audio recording application with impressive stats. However, only two third party application providers offered external microphone accessories, and none of those allowed use of my expensive microphones. As of today, I could fine none of those accessories available online.

I don't believe Apple Computer ever intended to exploit the professional application of the iPod, and I don't believe the iPad will be allowed to integrate into the professional world.

PS: I just read another post on a different thread that contradicts my comments.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/477702-digital-voice-recorder-wireless-mic.html