View Full Version : Dvc 18 - sign up thread

Dylan Couper
May 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM
Welcome DVC'ers. This one is going to be different. :)

For years, we have run the DV Challenge as a way to drag you off your couch, kicking and screaming, and forced you to get some scuffs and scratches on that big shiny camera of yours, by making a short film.

We will not be making short films this time!

Why not? Because most of us here are in the video production world (or want to be!) We shoot event videos, news, corporate videos, instructional videos, promotional videos, sports videos, and so on.

This DV Challenge will reflect that!

This time you will out and make a 3-5 minute video in whatever area of the video industry you choose! These absolutely can be FICTIONAL videos! You can make a corporate video for a company that doesn’t exist, a trailer for a sports video you’d love to shoot, an instructional video for a product that hasn’t been made. The goal is to get experience doing something you want to be doing. The prize, besides fame and glory, will be announced shortly!

For those who haven't done a DVChallenge before, how does it work from this point?

First, sign up in this thread to throw your spear in the sand and compete. The challenge begins Thursday May 13th when we announce the theme (note: on this one, the theme won't be a theme as usual, but may be a specific challenge or goal your video must achieve, meaning you can probably start writing your script, but better not shoot it until the 13th :)
From the theme announcement, you have until midnight, Sunday June 13th to write, shoot, edit, and upload your “pro” video to Youtube or Vimeo, and email the link to us at thedvchallenge@gmail.com

From there, we will “screen” the films on DVinfo over the following week, where they will be judged on the following criteria:

1) Effort. We applaud effort. You don't have to have a studio behind you, just put in the blood, sweat and tears, and it will get your closer to the prize.

2) Script. Make us laugh, make us cry, make us sit on the edge of our seats. Do all three at once and you can’t lose. Just don’t bore us.

Professionals vs. amateurs.
Since this forum is packed with pros shooting on high end gear, how can you, the amateur, compete?
Let me assure you, we the judges don't care if you've been doing this for 30 years and have a multi-million dollar studio, or if you've shot your whole project on SD camcorder. We only care about 1) the effort you put in... and 2) how good a script you've written. We do our best to level the playing field.

Now… no more excuses. You have more camera than you need to win, just write something based on the resources and help you have handy. We’ve pulled these competitions off in 7 days… over a month is plenty of time to complete an entry.

So... do you want to be a filmmaker or just a camera collector? :)

Robert Martens
May 1st, 2010, 11:43 AM
Well I can't say I'm interested in pursuing an event video career, but with the inclusion of corporate and industrial video production, I've got some ideas percolating already; I'm in, maybe I'll get out of my slump with this one.

Congratulations on seven thousand posts, by the way!

Chris Barcellos
May 1st, 2010, 11:58 AM
I will give this a shot... Let see,,,,,, instructional video.... hmmm. Got and idea......

Jeff Hendricks
May 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
I'll play...

Clint Harmon
May 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Of course I'm in. I do have a few questions though...

So once the theme (or requirement) is announced we have to produce something that we "can" or do actually do professionally. My only concern is some videos we do to pay the bills have no prelude because eveyone getting the end product knows a background to the video. Can we include a brief text opening to inform the viewers of the situation?

Although I do not film weddings, can a wedding videographer submit a wedding video that he/she shot between may 13th and june 13th?

Bill Thesken
May 1st, 2010, 05:03 PM
I'm in.....

Mugurel Dragusin
May 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
Consider me in on this one.

Ben Robbins
May 1st, 2010, 09:53 PM
So, if we were actually pursuing something along the lines of a fictional narrative filmmaker, would that be valid.

I enjoy crafting a story from scratch and going from there. What exactly are we limited to?

I'm in either way.

Shaun Roemich
May 1st, 2010, 11:54 PM
BRING IT ON!

Translation: I would certainly like to be considered for your quaint competition so please do count me in.

Um Dylan, can I borrow some of your guns?

Andris Krastins
May 2nd, 2010, 01:34 AM
I'm in.
Thinking promotional sports or instructional science video. Maybe a music video. Are music videos valid?

Graeme Hay
May 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
I'm In! This month shall be a busy video month!

Alex Chamberlain
May 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Aye! And may the farces be durned what try ta beset me!

Mat Thompson
May 2nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
I might just throw my hat in on this one !

Andrew Hood
May 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
New spin on the old contest. Count me in.

Dale Guthormsen
May 2nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Good Evening,

well, I gotta be in this, open ended enough I have no excuse.

Now, writing scripts, HUMMmmm??

supposed to be a challenge!!

Dale Guthormsen

Jeremy Doyle
May 3rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
I'll be in for this

Mitchell Stookey
May 3rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
I would love to join

Roger Rosales
May 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Count me in.

Dick Mays
May 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM
With a whole month to prepare, how can I not be in?

Jay Kavi
May 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I'm in if Music Videos are an option!!

Brendan South
May 8th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I'll see what I can't do.

Dylan Couper
May 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I'm in if Music Videos are an option!!

See this:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge-our-semi-regular-contest/478049-dvc-18-faq.html

Lorinda Norton
May 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I had decided to give myself and everyone else a break and not sign up for this round...but it's just too wide open to resist!

What are YOU waiting for??? Sign up! It's going to be a great Challenge! :)

Bruce Foreman
May 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Well, I cast my spear in the sand...

...But some guy built like Conan the Barbarian snatched it up, laughed and ran off with it...

...And I didn't even have video running.

Hey, I'm in. Let's have some fun!

Dylan Couper
May 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Oh I forgot... I'm in as well. :)

Nick Popa
May 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I'm in.... but please be gentle, it's my first time

Lorinda Norton
May 13th, 2010, 01:12 PM
The Challenge has begun: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge-our-semi-regular-contest/478634-dvc18-theme-go-go-go-prizes.html but sign-up is still OPEN!!

So come on, the rest of you--jump in!

Daniel Bates
May 13th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I'm in for one last hurrah before taking a hiatus from the visual information field.

Michael Wisniewski
May 15th, 2010, 02:17 AM
A little late but In.

Thomas R. Smith
May 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I might do it if i get the time :)

Bruce Hedge
May 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM
OK, I'll try. Thanks for the opportunity to get some feedback. I'm really a total "newbee" though... new-be... nubee ... noo-bee?

Lorinda Norton
May 20th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Hey Bruce! We're practically neighbors! If you need anything or just want to chat about your project give me a holler. :)