View Full Version : Burning TS folders

Pete Cofrancesco
May 7th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I've had an on going issue with my new Power Mac. DVD movies burned with it don't play properly in stand alone DVD player, skipping and jumping and stopping but play ok in a computer.

Apple suggested not using DVD Studio Pro to burn because you can't control the burn speed which would cause older stand alone players not to play properly if burned at too high of a speed.

They said instead to use a 3rd party software such as Toast to burn the TS folders created by DVDSP. I tried this with better but still not acceptable results. The first thing I noticed is that this and other software can only slow down to 4x, no slower. I'm not sure if this is because of the media or the drive.

The only way I could get the Movies to properly play was to copy the TS folder to my PC and use ImageBurn to burn the DVDs. While this method works its very time consuming and annoying. I've also tried using other burn software on the mac but the stand alone player wouldn't even recognize the disc despite burning it as a data disc using UDF format which is supposed to be compatible with dvd players. I can't burn it in there Movie mode because I need a data folder on the disc and movie mode only allows TS folders to be added.

Seth Bloombaum
May 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Pete, you could be looking at a media problem.

What's the source/brand/quality of the DVD-R you're using? Have you tried another brand?

Pete Cofrancesco
May 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Using the same media, Mac with Toast didn't work properly while PC with ImageBurn worked properly. Both however said the minimum burn speed was 4x.

Sareesh Sudhakaran
May 8th, 2010, 10:48 PM
keep your bitrate less than 6.5Mbps. DVD software will let you go up to 9Mbps but don't use that if you want the DVD to run on older players. Also, if you have enough space left on the DVD, use CBR instead of VBR. This should work.

Pete Cofrancesco
May 9th, 2010, 08:34 PM
keep your bitrate less than 6.5Mbps. DVD software will let you go up to 9Mbps but don't use that if you want the DVD to run on older players. Also, if you have enough space left on the DVD, use CBR instead of VBR. This should work.
That makes sense but its still not the issue. In this project there was no video. Strictly a photo slide show with music and the music skips. I'm thinking I might have to return the Mac because it could possible be some weird hardware issue, since no one else is experiencing this.

Sareesh Sudhakaran
May 9th, 2010, 09:47 PM
what size are your photos? are their sizes equal to or more than the DVD aspect ratio? If it's a slide show try to use the least possible file size..

Seth Bloombaum
May 9th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Pete, you could be looking at a media problem.

What's the source/brand/quality of the DVD-R you're using? Have you tried another brand?
Using the same media, Mac with Toast didn't work properly while PC with ImageBurn worked properly. Both however said the minimum burn speed was 4x.Have you tried any other media? I have the sense that you're believing that since it worked on the PC with IMGBurn, your media must be good. Not necessarily so... Media problems can be tricksy.