View Full Version : Wireless remote system for 250 watt Pro-light?

Robert McGowan
May 22nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Does any company make a wireless remote controlled system that will work with a 250 watt Pro-light? I did a lot of google searches with mixed results. I would prefer one small remote that allows for a ramp-up (dimming) on multiple lights (if possible). This would be used at either weddings and events. I have a couple of old (yet still good) Radio Shack remotes although I don't remember the model. I used to use them with 500 watt Totas back in the day. They still work but I would like to have something new that also allows dimming. Ideas?

Philip Howells
May 22nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
We've made substantial commitments to radio control and there's an easy solution to your need and a more complicated one.

The easy solution is an on-off switch - the cheapest way is a socket controlled by radio - available in most hardware stores. Be aware though that the transmission frequency is used by a vast array of other equipment so if you can get a coded version I'd recommend it.

It's a quantum leap to controlling the dimming. First you have to decide what type of dimmer it is - simply reducing the voltage is almost certainly not the way to do it. Then you have to write a circuit that will mimic the operation of the dimmer.

If this is just to save you a walk to the lighting stand it's almost certainly not going to be worthwhile economically.