View Full Version : DV Deals in Shanghai ??

John VVV
November 5th, 2002, 05:53 PM
It's possible that the best deals to be had are here in the good ol' USA but.....

I'll be in Shanghai next week and wondered if anyone knew if there could be some great DV gear deals over there.

I understand the non US model risks but was hoping that there could be some piece of gear I could add to my inventory at a resonable price.

If a DV editing deck was cheap enough I'd be tempted to take the risk. I'm sure tapes, memory cards and stuff like lenses will be available and mostly risk free.

Thanks, John V.

ThreeSixtyProductions
November 6th, 2002, 01:36 AM
be interested to know what the prices are please post on your return.

John Locke
November 6th, 2002, 02:51 AM
John,

...are you generally a lucky person? I hope so.

John VVV
November 7th, 2002, 12:28 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : John,

...are you generally a lucky person? I hope so. -->>>

Usually incredibly lucky.... I'll let you know when we return if we found any "deals".

John V.

John Locke
November 7th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Hmmm...okay.

I've lived in Asia for a long time, and there's no way I'd buy any DV equipment in Shanghai. I don't mean that as disrespect to Chinese products or Chinese OEM manufacturing. But the "knock-off" trade there is so good, you'll never know the difference. Never, that is, until you send the equipment in to be serviced (because it's broken down) 6 months later and get a letter from the real manufacturer telling you it's a knock-off.

I'd be sure to find a local who knows reputable dealers.

John VVV
November 7th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Thanks John, that is great advice and just in time, we are heading out in about one hour!

Possibly I'll stick to the safe stuff like a 512 MB memory card that I can test on the spot in my digital still camera.

Regards, John V.