View Full Version : Problems with GL1 Analog Passthrough

Mark Hanlen
June 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
I've been searching all over the net for an answer to my question: Does the GL1 passthrough analog video via firewire? I've been searching for an answer to this question, and I've read "Yes" "No" and "Only if you have the remote." Which is it?

Here's my situation. I have about 30 VHS-C tapes I'm trying to put onto DVD for a family project. I have a GL1, a Mac Mini G4 running FCP 5.0, and an old VHS-C camcorder. I have been able to plug in the old camcorder into the AV input on the GL1 and record directly onto DV tape. I'd rather not waste a bunch of tapes doing this, if I don't have to.

When I have FCP open and the firewire cable attached to the GL1, I can't passthrough the signal to FCP. I've tried switching to a Non controllable device, but that does nothing. I have found that if I insert a tape and push pause and record, unplug the firewire from the GL1, I can get the VHSC's signal to display on the Canon's LCD monitor. The second I insert the firewire cable into the Canon it switches to a blue screen. I've never been able to see the VHSC signal on my log and capture screen.

I'd simply like to passthrough analog video to final cut pro, using my GL1 as a hub. Is this possible? Do I need the remote (I don't have one)? Has anyone here actually tried using the GL1 hooked to a VCR/Hi8/VHSC and had success passing video through to FCP without tapes? I'll resort to the tape method if I have to, but since this is a project where I won't be getting paid I'd rather not put money into tapes I don't need. That and I'll save a lot of time, by skipping a step.

Richard Amirault
June 4th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I have a GL2 so I can't answer you question. If you can't get it to work, then see if you can borrow a camcorder from someone that does do "pass thru" ... failing that purchase one (used if possible) It does not have to be fancy.

Mark Hanlen
June 5th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks. I can't believe that people hadn't tried this at some point with a camera as popular as the GL1. I'd figure this of all places would have an answer. I may try and find a camera that does it, but the conflicting information on the GL1 about passthrough makes me a little weary. For this project, I ordered 15 DV tapes for about $30, since I couldn't get it to passthrough. I've tried everything I could, so unless someone has different information... the GL1 does not do analog passthough.

Graham Bernard
June 5th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks. I can't believe that people hadn't tried this at some point with a camera as popular as the GL1. I'd figure this of all places would have an answer. . . . I've tried everything I could, so unless someone has different information... the GL1 does not do analog passthough.

Well there IS this long-ago review (2002) that does a decent job at a GL1<>GL2 comparison. And within that there is this statement:

"The GL2 also includes many minor features that make the camcorder easier to use. With the GL2 you can turn on SMPTE color bars, turn off the automatic shut down, turn on a 16:9 viewfinder guide, burn the date and time permanently to the video, do analog to digital pass through, do interval recording, set the zoom speed, control an external DV device, and mark shots good or bad on the tape index." (ref: Hands-on GL2 Report by Robin Liss (http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/reports/gl2-rl3.php))

So by inference, I would deduce that the GL1 cannot do AV<>DV pass thorough, as this was a feature being applauded in the GL2?

HTH

Grazie

Mark Hanlen
June 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I had seen that review, but since it was sort of indirectly addressed I wasn't sure. It was even more confusing after reading a few claims by people online that it does pass through. Of course, it's not addressed in the manual, which I guess could mean it doesn't. I do appreciate the reply. Maybe it'll help someone else who stumbles upon this thread in the future. Although GL1's are becoming dinosaurs, so I would expect the inquiries to drop off accordingly. Here's crossing my fingers that mine will last another few years.