View Full Version : mic power - battery or phantom?

Renton Maclachlan
June 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I have a couple of Rode mics - NTG2 and NT3

Is there any difference/advantage operating these mics by either battery or phantom power?

I understand they - at least the NT3 - can use 12v phantom power. Is there any difference/advantage operating them in 12v phantom verses 48v phantom power?

Pete Cofrancesco
June 5th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Its mainly for flexibility. It can be used with a camera or device that doesn't supply phantom power. Believe me that is handy if you ever get caught in a situation where you can't provide phantom power. The convenience comes at a price, forget the battery in there and put it in storage it can corrode and ruin the mic, or forget to put a new battery in and it dies in a middle of a performance, or slowly weakens over time and you don't realize its the battery. Battery also adds more weight and size that is noticeable if your using it on a hand held boom. Batteries provide very clean power but I can't say I've noticed the difference between phantom power.

Rick Reineke
June 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have not looked the RODE specs, but in general, Phantom/Battery powered mic's SPL range and S/R noise would be pretty close. As they are 'Electret condenser microphones', a fixed-charge plate mic which does not require a full 48 volts of the 'true' condenser'. Normally just requiring low-voltage 'Bias current',.. either supplied by a reduced Phantom power or a 1.5 or 9v battery.

Jon Fairhurst
June 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
You will typically get a bit more dynamic range on phantom, compared to battery. Most mic vendors show different specs for the two situations.

Shaun Roemich
June 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Plus running on phantom power versus battery ever so slightly reduces your ongoing costs and non-recyclable garbage footprint.