View Full Version : Please Help, Brand New HM700 unusable Noise

Todd Russell
June 13th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Hey Guys, need some urgent help...
I just got a new HM700, I have had had fabulous results with the HM100 but this camera is unusable do to noise.. At first I thought it was just the VF limitation as I could see this minute snowing in all the dark areas but once I have looked at vision it looks terrible..
This noise is in soft lit interview situations, any shadows etc..
I had looked through old threads and found a thread suggesting the following advice.

Detail NORMAL
Master black -1
Black Toe STRETCH, Lev 3
Knee MANUAL 80%
DNR OFF

This has had no effect at all, I am currently in the middle of a docco and want to use this for interviews but the picture is no way near the little HM100...

Is there something I can do correct this or have I purchased a dud...

PS>> just checked JVC website and I have the latest firmware version already installed...
cheers

thanks heaps for any suggestions...
Todd.

Ryan Mast
June 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Turn DNR on.

Turn gain off (if you haven't already).

Set Detail to somewhere between -3 and -7.

The black toe does not save you any usable picture information -- it's only useful if you like that look.

Don't trust the brightness on your viewfinder, and open the iris til your 100% zebra stripes start dancing. This camera records luminance from 0%-108%, so even once 100% zebras show up, you're not clipping yet.

Can you post a few seconds of HD video of your noisy footage?

Ben Lynn
June 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Todd,

Any luck with the camera so far? To me it sounds like it may just be bad. The camera should work out of the box and shouldn't have that kind noise like you describe. I've been shooting some with a hm100 mixed with an hm700 and the footage from the two cameras looks the same after some cursory editing. I certainly haven't seen any of the noise that you talk about from any of the 700's I've used.

I know you're probably swamped with trying to figure it out, but if you could get a frame grab and post it that would help people assess the problem.

Also, what thread suggested a knee of 80%? Just wondering about that. Some people use a low knee level, but that's really low. It also shouldn't have anything to do with the blacks.