View Full Version : Adjustable ND filter question.

Bruce S. Yarock
June 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I've been using a Singh_Ray variable adjustable nd filter since I got my first 7D. While doing a 2 camera music video shoot last Sunday, I realized that I need another one of these. The one I have starts vignetting at about 24mm. If you buy their next size up ( 82mm, I think) you only get another 2mm before it vignettes.
Has anyone gone with the wider version and a step ring, and if so, how much wider can you really shoot at? Their wider version is $390. Also is anyone else making anything similar that isn't so expensive?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Jerry Porter
June 15th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have a LightCraftWorkshop Fader ND and use it with my Tokina 11 -16 and can get all the way down to 12mm before I see any vignetting.

Bruce S. Yarock
June 16th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Jerry,
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try one of those,
Do you know who has them in stock?
Bruce Yarock

Jerry Porter
June 16th, 2010, 07:00 AM
This is where I bought mine.
Filter > Fader ND mark II - (http://www.lightcraftworkshop-shop.com/product-list/19)

Bruce S. Yarock
June 16th, 2010, 07:19 AM
jerry,
Did you buy the 77 or the 82mm?
Bruce Yarock

Jerry Porter
June 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I bought the 77 as that is the biggest lens that I have and then some step down rings. The 11-16 is a 77mm lens. I don't think you will gain anything by going bigger unless you need to for lens size. They are already over-sized. You can forget using any of your lens hoods with them though as you can not rotate them with a hood on.

John Richard
June 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I believe Singh-Ray makes a "thin" version which would reduce the vinetting effect

Bruce S. Yarock
June 17th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Jerry,
Is there any dealer who stocks these and who I could reach by phone?
BH is backed up for 2-4 weeks, and there's no guarantee on delivery time if you buy on Amazon.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Jerry Porter
June 17th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Not sure Bruce, I just ordered mine straight off the site I listed above and had no problems. I took awhile to get here, but it did and I have had no problems with it.

Bruce S. Yarock
June 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
How long did it take, jerry? I need another pretty soon. They don't answer their email, so I have no idea how long it will take.
Bruce Yarock

Michael Sims
June 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I bought my via ebay. Did a search for ND Fader in the camera section. Found it and had it in a few days.
Here's the link to see them

ND Fader items - Get great deals on Lenses Filters items on eBay.com! (http://photography.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3910.m570.l1313&_nkw=ND+Fader&_sacat=625)

Philip Hinkle
June 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
I have a question about the ND Fader filters. I have an outdoor shoot coming up that I'm thinking will need one of these. I noticed on the Lightcraft Work Shop page that the description said they shouldn't be used at a 90mm focal length or above. Does that mean they won't work well on my long zoom lens? I have a 70-210 zoom that I want to use it on. Will I run into problems.

It's for an outdoor wedding and my 7D is the used primarily for closeups and b-roll so 90% of my shooting will be zoomed shots.

Keith Moreau
June 23rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
I have 2 of the 77mm Fader Brand NDs. The first I got from LCW "Light Craft Workshop," from China, the second I got from Sobefoto from Florida. I got the "HD" version which supposedly has been improved from the original version to reduce the 'softness' that could occur when using long focal lengths. I paid quite a bit more for the "HD" version, I think it was in the $220 or so. I haven't really put it through it's paces with a good long lens, I've used it a bit on a superzoom Tamron at 300mm, and it didn't seem to soften the Tamron, which is kind of soft anyway. I have yet to try it much on my 70-200mm 2.8 which is a pretty sharp lens. I did use the older version Fader ND on the 70-200 and it did seem to soften the image a bit but nothing scientific about that observation.

One thing about these 'Faderfilter' Fader ND's is I just feel kind of like they are all grey market and there are knockoffs of these things all over the place. Maybe they are all made by the same factory in China, but in looking around, I just get the impression that a lot of them are not the 'original' brand of Fader NDs, but then again, maybe there was never an 'original brand.' The Sobefoto guys told me that a lot of their competitors sell imitation filters, but who knows. At least you can call them and talk to real people and they are in the U.S.

As far as the vignetting, the Fader brand (or the knockoffs) are pretty good at not doing this. I've used them with a 17 -55mm on my 7D without a problem, and with a 28mm on my 5D without a problem. Though the 77mm on one end, the front end is 82mm and it flares outward well. The problem sometimes is in the hood, if you use one. I use a collapsible rubber hood that has 3 'settings' and sometimes I'm in telephoto and forget to snap it back to 'wide' and I get vignetting but that's not the Fader ND's fault.

Bruce S. Yarock
June 23rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Keith,
What does yours say on the side? I had been looking for another fader nd, but couldn't reach anyone from lightcraft Workshop on the phone. I found another comapny called "faderfilters.com" and they had phone numers of resellers. I tried the numbers for sobefoto, but they were both dissconected. I found another reseller in Ft Lauderdale and they wanted over $200 for what they claimed was the "new improved hd version".
Then I found another reseller for them down here and they said there was only one model, which says hd on it, and it cost me $134 plus tax and shipping. Mine says-
"77mm VAR HD ND By Fader Filters Made In Japan""
It came in an opaque plastic case. Does that sound like the same one you got?

It seems to work well,but doesn't look as beefy as the first one I got from Singh-Ray. I plan to do a side by side test with the a couple of lenses at various focal lengths and see if there is any difference. I still need a third one, so that for outdoors multi cam shoots I can have one on my 17-55, 70-200 and Tokina 11-16.

Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo (http://www.yarockvideo.com)

Keith Moreau
June 23rd, 2010, 11:56 PM
Mine says exactly what yours says, except I paid $100 more for it, maybe I got suckered, maybe yours is a knock-off, thing is with these things, who knows? That's what I was saying about the 'Fader Filters' out there. Sobefoto has a problem with having a lot of numbers on their ebay lists that are just plain wrong or disconnected. I did manage to find a correct number buried in one of their pages, and that actually worked, and there are people, some of them seemingly nice and responsible, working there. However looks like they didn't correct the phone number problem for the faderfilters site.

The case mine came in was translucent white case, rather than opaque. However, no printed material, no shrink wrapping, no packaging indicating a brand of any kind. The case was exactly the same as the one I got from LCW in November 2009. The only difference was the inserted foam. The LCW foam was a bit denser than the new "HD" foam.

Hope this helps. I think somebody needs to contact FaderFilters.com so they can get their act together. And also, what ever happened to Light Craft Workshop? I thought they were the only distributors? Is a Fader ND from Faderfilters.com the knockoff? The people at Sobefoto told me that the only genuine Fader NDs are made in Japan, and that those that don't specify "Made in Japan" are the knockoffs.

I guess whatever these are, if they work well, that's the main thing.

Let us know how your testing goes. I may do some tests as well.

Chuck Spaulding
June 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I sure am pining for the days before the internet, sure you can shop pricing but there's way to much crap and its not at all clear what your getting. I miss Browns Photo, touching the merchandise and talking face to face.

I purchased a 72mm ND Fader from "Light Craft Workshop," it came in the same translucent white case with no markings or packaging. Mine has "NATURE 72mm FILTER" stamped on the side of the filter with no mention of being made in Japan.

Bruce, where did you get yours? Through all the discussion it's not clear to me where you got it. How well does it work on the Tokina 11-16?

When I purchased my ND Fader I thought the Tokina was 72mm, Doh!

Bruce S. Yarock
June 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Chuck,
I got mine at a place here in South Florida called "Del Ray Camera" The number is 561) 278-3331.
You might mention my name, and tell them I just had one shipped to me in Pembroke Pines. They normaly don't ship, except by the us mail, but I gave them my fedex acct. number and got it next day.
I also need to order one more.
let me know how you do.
Bruce Yarock

Leonard Levy
June 26th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I would avoid all the inexpensive fader ND's from Sobefoto or even the improved version from Lightcraft. I've seen tests on the web and they all fall apart on long lenses. Haven't seen any tests with the singh ray but I have tested stacking 2 good quality polas. That worked fine even at 200mm, but the 2 filters alone cost considerably more than even the Lightcraft MkII - their slightly improved version. My guess is that the singh ray will be good.

Lots of people here don't seem to care if their long lens shots are ruined by these filters, kind of surprising in a high def marketplace.

Liam Hall
June 26th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Leonard, I "care if my long lens shots are ruined" which is why I rigorously tested the Lightcraft filters before using them on a paid gig.

There are issues using variable NDs - some leak blue, they can fool the meter into underexposure and you lose infinity focus - though in my tests, picture quality wise, the Lightcraft Fader ND held up remarkably well. I can certainly recommend them.

Bruce S. Yarock
June 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Leonard,
What exactly do you mean by "they all fall apart on long lenses"?
Do you have link to the "tests"? I have both the Singh-Ray and the faderfilter hd,and the fader filter looked good on a quick test ( although I didn't try it yet with my 70-200 at 200mm).
Bruce Yarock

Leonard Levy
June 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM
duplicate post sorry

Leonard Levy
June 27th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Fader ND Mk.II is still kinda "meh" for telephoto - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=213006&highlight=fader)

DIY Fader vs LCW Fader ND Mark 2 - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=215105)

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=207504

draw your own conclusions

Even the test shots on the LCW website show degradation to me.

Just eyeballing I saw no change between no filter and a DIY combo of a good circular + a good linear.

Hey I don't want to spend money anymore than you guys, however I shoot lots of interviews at the end of the lens. Did one yesterday with the DIY combo and it was fine but I mean just go for the Singh Ray soon.

I haven't personally tried the LCW Mark II though so I'm basing just based on the above links.

Lenny

Liam Hall
June 28th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Leonard, from those examples I can see why you think they suck. I must say my tests - done up to 200mm - were much better. But as I said earlier, there are issues with these filters and I would urge everyone to test them with their own set-up.

95% of the time I have Tiffen ND on my lenses and not the fader, but when I'm in a quick fire situation the Fader does it's job effectively. Certainly, I've never experienced the quality drop shown in your links.

As for DIY versus Fader, yes folks can make there own - you pays your money you makes your choice...