View Full Version : focussing with the 550d

Rob deJong
June 24th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Hello,
It's been a while since I made a topic from this, but now maybe some have more experience with the dslr's.
I have problems focussing manually with the 550d. I cannot work with the ZACUTO, because I always have the camera below my head. I am using
LCD Angle-changing Viewfinder A1K For Canon 5D Mark II - eBay (item 280431821070 end time Jun-28-10 19:36:19 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Angle-changing-Viewfinder-A1K-Canon-5D-Mark-II-/280431821070?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414b0a010e)
but as with the lcd itself the mirrors provide a too small picture to be sure of focus. For using focus assist, in general, I do not have enough time.
A while ago, people on this forum were suggesting video glasses, but these are expensive. I will buy if I know what to buy and only after hearing about your experiences with it. Has somedy tried video glasses already in combination with a dslr?

Thanks,
Rob

James Donnelly
June 24th, 2010, 10:40 AM
The video glasses I have seen (£100-£150 on ebay or at computer fairs) are not very good quality. Just about OK for movies on the go, but forget it for focussing. Most of the cheap ones have 320 lines.

For external monitoring, you are limited by the SD output of the camera while recording. As far as I can tell, the only thing that would work well for you would be something based on a mirror and loupe, but I've never seen one.

Rusty Rogers
June 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I could not imagine the mirror gizmo working for focus. The Z-Finder (or equivalent) is the only real way to go.
If you always shoot below your head, perhaps you should simply lower your head.

Khoi Pham
June 24th, 2010, 11:14 AM
If all you do is shoot below your head then you should get the Pan. GH1, it has articulated lcd.

Rob deJong
June 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Nobody seen a Z-finder with an angle?

Rusty Rogers
June 24th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Remember, the #2 purpose of a loupe is to add a third point of contact for a steadier shot!

Chris Barcellos
June 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Separate monitor, really the only way to go. Even a cheap small HD monitor fed with an HDMI cable, will allow you to set focus at your begining and ending points. I have a 7inch marshall that works pretty well, and I mount that on my rails this amount that allows an adjustement to the angle of view.

Rob deJong
June 26th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Which 7 inch Marshall is that precisely?