View Full Version : How do you tell a client that DVD copy protection does not exist?

Chris Davis
June 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I recently had a client request a quote - at the end of the conversation, she throws in, "we need to prevent people from copying this."

She's a great client, I like working with her, and because of that I'm not willing to just say "Nope, can't be done" until I have exhausted all options. Well, I long ago determined that the "holy grail" of copy protection does not exist, even though I was holding out for some new technological advancement.

What do you tell your clients when they ask?

Shaun Roemich
June 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Every time I've had this question/request I point out that the only semi-reliable way is to add Macrovision encoding to PRESSED DVDs... and that I have software that WILL crack even Hollywood encryption on my system. (I assure you, I use the software for legal purposes only OR to back up a DVD that I own that is beginning to skip due to scratching)

I point out that the only thing you can REALLY do is try to appeal MORALLY to the potential copier by having a "Please Don't Copy This" screen come up on first play.

I'm sure you've seen the other thread on copy protecting that is active right now.

Chris Davis
June 28th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that thread is what brought this up. I'm not comfortable with purposely defacing a disk for a customer: "Why are all my disks scratched?" "I did that, it's your copy protection." "You're a stooge!" :)

I will probably have to tell my client that the only true copy protection is available on 1,000 or more copies, and it's not even that good.

Shaun Roemich
June 28th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Sorry I don't have any better news for you and I won't "deface" discs either. Seems kind of "ghetto"...

Seth Bloombaum
June 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM
...I will probably have to tell my client that the only true copy protection is available on 1,000 or more copies, and it's not even that good.

I'd suggest something more like: "The price is high for short runs. This level of protection will stop casual copiers; nothing will stop the determined pirate."

Shaun Roemich
June 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM
And Seth earns a "+1" in my books...

Ervin Farkas
June 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
That's why I work for non profits that actually encourage copying... doesn't make me particularly happy, but I don't think I should worrry - as long as people can get a free copy, they won't bother copying my product.

Chris Davis
June 29th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I'd suggest something more like: "The price is high for short runs. This level of protection will stop casual copiers; nothing will stop the determined pirate."

I like that, I think I'll use it.

Chris Davis
July 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
I mentioned that to the client and she was satisfied. We are instead going to appeal to their moral sensitivities.