View Full Version : Shooting in Haiti

William Smyth
July 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Looks like I'll be heading to Haiti within the next six months to start work on a documentary. Initially, I was planning on shooting with 2 Canon XHA1's, but with all the humidity and moisture I wondered if avoiding tape altogether would be the way to go.

I know it's really new and there's not a lot of feedback from the field yet, but I started thinking about shooting on the new Canon XF305/300.

Any initial thoughts about the advantage of switching to either of these cameras?

Mick Jenner
July 2nd, 2010, 02:14 AM
As they are still very new at the moment I doubt if anybody has much experience with them. This link might give you some idea of their quality. Alan Roberts the author of of the thread tests all new camera's for the BBC.
Canon XF300/305 - DVdoctor.community (http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=51418)

Regards
Mick

Allan Black
July 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
Yep too new .. besides 2 x XF300s will punch big holes in the budget.

Tape shouldn't be a problem in the heat, the A1 is cleared up to 30C but I've been out in 34C.

Going from cold aircon to heat will cause misting problems for both types. P145. Work out how much tape you'll need then double it.

More of a hassle will be moving around and crowd control, take battered cases to avoid attention.
Good luck.