View Full Version : Adobe Encore -- various topics

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Mike Zorger
November 13th, 2003, 07:21 AM
WHO HAS THIS, and Can you watch the DVDs back on your DVD player on the TV, not just your computer??????

Glen Elliott
November 13th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Of course that's what DVD is for.

Mike Zorger
November 13th, 2003, 01:15 PM
hey glen i'm guessing you have the program. When you do the menues can you do your own menue in photoshop, or do you have to use the ones they give you??

Rob Wilson
November 13th, 2003, 04:15 PM
very tightly integrated with PhotoShop. Easily switch back and forth for editing your menus/buttons. Haven't used it a lot yet but I've not experienced the glitches others have.

Steve Withers
November 13th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Haven't used it a lot yet but I've not experienced the glitches others have.

It's because you haven't used it a lot yet =/

I've used it pretty extensively and I can say it's the buggiest Adobe product I've ever used. Take for instance last night. I tried to burn a project to a dvd. I had burned this project before, and it went fine, though last night it refused to work. It came up with an error message when I hit "build". I restarted the computer today and it burned fine, using the same exact dvd. Then there's also the time where I spent about 50 minutes going through footage and chapter marking it. Encore crashed. So I had to do it over. It crashes often, but I think most of the time when I try to preview the dvd. (always save before ya do that)

As far as the photoshop integration, it's basic. It could have used a lot more work. It's counter productive to have to meticulously label all of your layers in photoshop with dumb signs like (=1) and (+), etc. It also will only work with Photoshop 7. I really wish you could set which layers do what (like buttons, highlights, etc) in Encore. All you can do in Encore is see the layers.

Arnaldo Paixao
November 19th, 2003, 10:45 AM
The answer: ReelDVD

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Nawaf Alali
November 26th, 2003, 01:09 AM
hello everyone,
I posted this in Adobe Forum, but no reply yet.

I have the Adobe Video Collection (Premiere PRo, After Effects 6, Audition, and Encore DVD). I work with video in Premiere, and audio in Audition (to make 5.1 surround). when exporting from audition, I have the choice between:
- exporting as 6 different mono waves.
- or exporting as 1 wave (5.1).

If I export as 6 waves, then I have to import them to Premiere, then export them as AC3 file, to burn on DVD (Encore doesn't accept 6 wave files). But I can do this only 3 times, then I have to buy the AC3 encoder.

If I export as 1 wave file (from Audition), then I can use it right away in Encore DVD.

My question is: Am I safe to use the 1 wave file to make 5.1 surround in Encore DVD? Will it be perfect 5.1 with no problems?

The problem is I can't do tests right now. so your answer is really appreciated.

David Hurdon
November 26th, 2003, 06:43 AM
I might be about to learn something here, but I have never seen reference to surround sound that didn't include AC3. If you're asking whether there is a free alternative to creating AC3 surround sound I don't think so. There would be no market for the royalty for AC3 functionality if you could have your cake and eat it too.

David Hurdon

Steve Minnick
December 6th, 2003, 06:26 PM
when going from xpro to adobe encore DVD does one have to go through sorenson squeeze first?

Rob Lohman
December 10th, 2003, 04:38 PM
I'm not exactly sure what your getting at here. What is xpro?

Steve Minnick
December 10th, 2003, 08:50 PM
sorry...that would be "avid express pro"...I have gotten answers from another forum but if you have a workflow that is similar...please share...thanks

Rob Lohman
December 11th, 2003, 04:06 AM
I don't on AVID. Sorry. But since DVD requires DVD compliant
MPEG2 and your AVID can encode that, just do that. Otherwise
you will have to find a common fileformat that Encore can
encode (if it has an mpeg2 encoder onboard) or use a third
party program to do the mpeg2 encoding.

Steve Minnick
December 11th, 2003, 08:41 AM
yeah - i would probably go with a QT ref file out on the avid ...then squeeze it...then encore

Louis Feng
December 14th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Actually, Encore and Squeeze both use Mainconcept's Mepg encoder. Encore will not re-encode if the clip is already in mpeg2 format.

So you can either encode with Squeeze then import it into Encore, or just import the clip as QT ref and encode before you make the DVD.

Neil Fisher
January 10th, 2004, 11:10 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/hydromedusa/hydromedusa/new.htm

this has happened every time i've tried building a DVD, anyone have an idea what the 'Unknown Error (DVD Error-1)' is?

Rob Lohman
January 11th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Have a look at this newsgroup post (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=off&th=4cfe5265184538be&rnum=1)

Ed Smith
January 11th, 2004, 09:15 AM
What were you doing upto the point of the error? What are your settings? Explain the process you went through to create the DVD?

Neil Fisher
January 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM
thanks, that answered my questions.

Barry Gilbert
January 11th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Hey Rob,
Is that news group something you somehow signed up for or something you just do a google search for? That could be a powerful tool in cases like this.

Rob Lohman
January 12th, 2004, 04:05 AM
You can use google to search through half a million (I believe)
newsgroups posts in the past and in the present (no, not in
the future.... yet <g>).

They have their own "homepage" @ http://groups.google.com/

Or go to the main www.google.com and click on the
Groups tab above. There you can search and even browse the
groups if you want.

Mike Zorger
January 21st, 2004, 07:03 AM
Ok lets say i make my own menus in Encore, Im a little shady about how to make the buttons. Like where you would say "NEXT CHAPTER" or "BONUS FEATURES" stuff like that. How would I just make a layer that was made in AE/photoshot connect to that thing in Encore to make button.
thanks

Rob Wilson
January 21st, 2004, 07:23 AM
Mike,

If you right click on an object in the menu screen, it'll offer up the option of converting that object to a button. It can be text, or any other type of object you may have imported.

Mike Zorger
January 21st, 2004, 07:28 AM
your the man

Matt Pryor
January 22nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Whenever i try to import files into Encore to make a dvd it says that the file isn't the right size, I think it says it has to be 720 by 480. Would I have to import the video into Premiere Pro, save it as a PPro file and then import it into Encore, or is there an easier way I didn't think of? I'd rather not import it into PPro and then save it, but if it's the only option I guess thats what I'll do. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Rob Lohman
January 22nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
You are going to have to be a lot more specific then this, Matt.
So let's get you started on a list:

1) what file format are you trying to feed into Encore?

2) where did this file came from? (DVD, DV camera, analog source)

3) do you know what the resolution of the incoming file actually is? What is the framerate?

4) what program(s) did you use to create this file

5) which settings did you use in those/that program(s)

Then we will be much better able to help you with what is
going on. Now it might be the wrong format, a wrong resolution,
an in proper codec, a busted XP installation etc. etc.

Glen Elliott
February 27th, 2004, 08:09 AM
I'm looking to create a DVD out of a two camera shoot. Rather than editing I was looking to use both streams of footage and author a DVD in which you could hit the "angle" button on your DVD remote to change the camera. Can Adobe Encore do this?

Pete Bauer
February 27th, 2004, 09:26 AM
That's one feature the 1.0 version doesn't have. Users on the Adobe forums have it strong on their wish list for 2.0, which some are predicting will be announced this summer...can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if any software at this price point or cheaper has multi-angles yet.

I'm guessing you'd have to go to the "true pro-level" software that costs big bucks; anyone else using other authoring software know more?

Glen Elliott
March 7th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Do you have a list of authoring programs that offer this feature? Thanks in advance!

Bryan McCullough
March 7th, 2004, 09:54 PM
I believe DVD Studio Pro does multi-angles.

Rob Lohman
March 8th, 2004, 02:32 AM
On the PC only DVD Maestro (discontinued) and Sonic Scenarist
seem to have that feature. Both are "high-end" authoring
packages that have an enormous learning curve (and price in
case of Scenarist).

The Mac people are more fortunate as DVD Studio Pro does
indeed support multiple angles with a nice user interface to boot.

I wouldn't be suprised if some PC product will emerge in 2004
that supports it as well (no, I don't know of any future products,
it's just a "feeling". Or perhaps hope, heh).

Julian Luttrell
March 8th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Pinnacle Impression also claims to support multi-angle. Though you might want to check the Pinnacle web boards to see just how reliably it works.

Julian

Rob Lohman
March 8th, 2004, 03:18 AM
I stand corrected. BUT, reading the specifications it only seems
to do 2 angles max! That's an important thing to know. All the
other mentioned products support the maximum number of
angles on a DVD which is 9 (http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.2)

Glen Elliott
March 8th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Hmmm all I would "need" is 2 angles. Wonder how good Pinnacle Impression is- anyone ever work with it?

George Ellis
March 9th, 2004, 02:14 PM
I do not have it, but the discussion on the Liquid Edition board compares and contrasts it DVD Lab. It is a little outdated, but works well from the chatter. List is $199.

Barry Gribble
March 22nd, 2004, 06:16 PM
I am using Premiere Pro and Encore to create a DVD that has some titles in the beginning. The titles appear at different points in the timeline... for instance, it starts with a graphic at time 1, title one comes in at time 2, and title two comes in at time 3. Then they go away and it happens a few more times with different titles.

The look beautiful in the timeline, and the look beautiful in the exported final AVI file, but when I create the DVD with Encore the time sequencing of when the titles is all messed up. I have title one appearing with the graphic, on one sequence. I have titles one and two appearing at the same time on another. It is confounding to me. There is music going on beneath this, and it is playing fluidly.

Though the titles sequencing appears random, it is strictly determined by something because it is completely consistent in its mis-timing. I just checked in Encore and it works exactly the same way in the preview mode - i.e. messed up.

What could possibly cause a fully-functional AVI file to scramble itself that way? Are the titles stored as text in the AVI file? I always assumed they were bitmaps in there, but this definitely argues against that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rob Lohman
March 24th, 2004, 02:23 AM
This is a bit confusing. There are two ways to do titles. One is
incorporated into the video. Nothing should be able to change
this. The other is as an overlay bitmap which gets turned into
a subtitle in the DVD format. In theory this could be messed up.

If the titles should be part of the video, why not render to MPEG2
directly from Premiere and load that into Encore. Then Encore
should not do its own encoding since the file is already DVD
compatible.

Barry Gribble
March 24th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Rob,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I am confused as you are... they are not subtitles, they are in the video in the AVI.... strange...

I would love to render to MPEG2, but that is not an option on my menu... do I have to download a separate Codec to put that on the export option list? If so, do you know where to get it?

Thanks again.

Pete Bauer
March 24th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Barry,

Hmmm, I'm puzzled as well. If the whole sequence has been rendered to AVI (which works properly) and then imported into Encore, I can't imagine how the titles could then subsequently shift within the rendered timeline. But agree it might be worth a try to render directly to MPEG2 from PremierPro...

PP uses the MainConcept MPEG encoder "right out of the box" so you shouldn't have to buy anything else to do it. The menu and dialog box structure is a little different than previous versions of Premier, but it is there.

I'm at work and can't quite remember the exact navigation to export to MPEG, but I think it is in the File menu...Export...Adobe Media Encoder, and then choose your preferred format and codecs from the dialog boxes and drop down menus.

If no logical reason for this is discovered, please do email Adobe so any bug causing this can be ID'ed and hopefully fixed in an update.

Brian Huey
March 24th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Might be worth checking the Encore forum over at Adobe to see if anyone has had a similar problem and to post this question over there. Hope you get it worked out.

Jake Sawyer
December 31st, 2004, 08:04 PM
Hey guys. I have a problem I need solved. When I start the dvd up it goes to the first menu which has two buttons.

One is "play movie" and the other is "special features". Then when you click on "special features" it goes to the next menu and has thumbnails you can press on to see extended interviews etc. So, after you watch the interview it goes back to the "special features" menu.

Now, I want to beable to press the menu button on the remote to link back to the first menu which has the "play movie" and "special features" buttons. I'm using Encore 1.0. I've looked at Adobes Encore tutorials and forums, but haven't found an answer to solve my problem. How can I do this? Thanks.

Jake Sawyer
January 2nd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Anybody know how to solve this?

Andrew J Hall
February 24th, 2005, 03:03 PM
I am going to be making dvd's - editing with Premiere Pro 1.5. I am wondering what Encore DVD does for me versus using the various Nero tools for the authoring step. I know very little about dvd authoring though I have done heaps of video editing for web and VHS delivery.

Andrew Hall

Aanarav Sareen
February 24th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Nero is not an advanced DVD authoring app. You will be very happy with Encore DVD. Take a look at http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial for excellent tutorials.

Rob Lohman
February 26th, 2005, 05:30 AM
The basic Nero stuff can just create a movie-only disc (although I
do believe there are some more advanced Nero tools out there
or coming out).

Encore DVD is a DVD authoring program. Authoring programs take
your elements (video, audio and stills etc.) and combines them
into a DVD.

What this allows you to do is:

- add multiple movies
- create (motion) menus (you need to create stills from the video or a paint program) that can link to each other (think main menu, chapter selection menu, extra's menu etc.)
- add subtitling

etc.

Dan Euritt
February 26th, 2005, 01:27 PM
i believe that premiere pro includes the mainconcept mpeg encoder, which is probably better than whatever encoder you'll get with nero... but test it to see for yourself.

your market may be satisfied with whatever the limits of nero authoring are; you can, for instance, put the photo sequences to music with premiere, then just encode it all as part of the timeline with the mainconcept encoder... then set up your chapter links in nero(you'll need that capability at a minimum).

i tend to believe that dvd's work better in general, and are maybe more compatible, when you use only one long mpeg2 file, as opposed to authoring in multiple seperate elements.

you can also use a seperate program for authoring the menu, i like the program that mediachance has created... see if nero will import menus.

cheaper alternatives than encore would include dvdlab pro, from mediachance... it'll do things that you can't do with encore, but it may not be as easy to use for a beginner.

John Davis
March 12th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Hi, Where might a good place be to purchase more Encore menus for use in creating DVD's? Thanks, John

Hart Boyd
March 12th, 2005, 08:11 AM
You can subscribe to http://www.dvd-makers.com and download all you want.

Bret Pritchett
April 26th, 2005, 03:01 AM
I'm making a DVD and have 9 seperate video files that I want in the same timeline/title track, as 9 seperate chapters. From what I can tell, the only way I can create chapters is to split up the title video track. Is there any way I can put all 9 files in the same title video?

thanks
Bret

Christopher Lefchik
April 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Bret,

The Encore manual states that a timeline video track can contain only one video clip. If you must have all the video clips on one track, you will need to combine them in your video editing application.

Another option, if you have Encore 1.5, is to use a playlist to make the nine separate video clips (each on their own timeline) play sequentially, one after the other. See page 181 of the Encore manual.

If you have Encore 1 you can accomplish the same thing using end actions. See pages 122 and 134 of the manual.

I've used both methods in the past when I wanted a group of video files to play sequentially.

Bret Pritchett
April 26th, 2005, 08:04 AM
I used the end action feature, but that won't let the viewer use the chapter skip feature if they want to watch the next video. Back to Premiere I guess.