View Full Version : AX2000 Small Menu/LCD Text display

George Peterson
August 9th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Just got the camera. Is the very small text in the menu and vf giving anyone else problems. Somebody tell Sony that as we get older 'somehow' we find it a bit harder to see things. At least Canon lets you enlarge the text.

Maybe a firmware upgrade sometime in the future??? PLeeeeze.

Jay West
August 10th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Are you talking about on screen displays or the print in the menus?

I can't read menu text in the viewfinder but I don't have any trouble (yet) with the LCD. Seems to me that my old VX2000 cams had a menu function for enlarging the print size. Haven't found anything like this in either my NX5 or FX1000.

John McManimie
August 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I initially had an issue that just turned out to be the focus of the viewfinder --- it just didn't occur to me at first. It may help if the image in the viewfinder is not clear to "Move the viewfinder lens adjustment lever until the image appears clearly (p. 16 in manual)".

George Peterson
August 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hi John,
I'm aware of the vf adjustment but my complaint is that the text display in either the lcd or the vf really is small and can't be enlarged. Most Canon higher end cameras let you change the text size in the menu, making life more palatable for us "older guys".

Tom Hardwick
August 12th, 2010, 10:59 AM
George - I'm right with you on this one and you may have seen my posts on this forum about it. The NX5 is similarly afflicted, and it's as if the Sony engineers thought that because the screen was so much higher resolution than the Z1's (say) they could get away with using that very tiny font.

There's no way of enlarging it and no way of increasing the menu font size as was pioneered on the TRV900 all those 13 years ago. What's going on Sony? Your client base is ageing, keep up with their needs.

OK, sitting in a normally lit room I can see the top screen's alphanumerics ok, but get out into the sunshine and it's getting really difficult. Now start running from A to B as I often find myself doing on a run 'n' gun film set, and looking down there's no way you can check to see what aperture's set, let alone if it's locked or in auto.

I too pray for a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath. Have you seen the Z5's screen? MUCH BETTER. Why the backwards step, Sony?

tom.

George Peterson
August 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Tom
Aahh, to have good eye site again, huh! I guess I'll rely on memory and finger placement on the camera, and THAT'S gonna be a joke. Damned little buttons. And of course, I think my ability to feel and remember went with the eye site. Getting old sucks.

If I knew whom to contact at Sony that might get some attention I'd email them and plead.

The trv-900/950 was an absolute great camera. Used it for years for u/w shooting for a tv show. Had 2 of em.