View Full Version : Is it a problem if my Sennheiser antennas are bent?

Noam Osband
August 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Every time I put my wireless mic recievers and transmitters into my camera bag, the wires are a little bit bent. Is that a problem? They are clearly made to be bent somewhat, but I wonder if it's worth paying for a separate box for them so I don't bend the antennas.

Robert Turchick
August 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Mine have been bent for years with no ill-effects.

Jerry Porter
August 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Same as Robert and never a problem. Just don't crimp them.

Richard Crowley
August 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Every time I put my wireless mic recievers and transmitters into my camera bag, the wires are a little bit bent. Is that a problem? They are clearly made to be bent somewhat, but I wonder if it's worth paying for a separate box for them so I don't bend the antennas.
Just to be clear here, exactly which wire is bent? Are you talking about the antenna wire? Or are you talking about the microphone wire?

The typical floppy antenna wire is just a piece of flexible, wire. Nothing magic. Bending/folding, etc won't hurt it in the short run (but may weaken it in the long run.) Just be sure to straighten it out as much as possible before deploying the equipment.

OTOH, the wire between the microphone and the transmitter is a different matter. I ALWAYS unplug the microphone/cable and roll it up carefully and store it in its own little zip plastic bag. That is a miniature multi-conductor shielded cable and relatively fragile. Repeatedly bending it is never a good idea, and repairing a broken wire or connector is never fast or inexpensive.

Robert Turchick
August 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Oops..thanks for the clarification. Antennas are fine to bend but as mentioned,not crimp. The mic cables, especially sennheisers are very fragile and should always be stored unplugged from the transmitter.

John Willett
August 20th, 2010, 03:23 AM
The mic cables, especially sennheisers are very fragile and should always be stored unplugged from the transmitter.

The ME 2 and ME 4 cables should be treated with care - but the MKE 2 cables are steel and are *very* tough.