View Full Version : Window Neo Series v5.1.1 is out

David Newman
August 27th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Here are some of the changes in the latest release, now available from CineForm.com

Build 5.1.1.270, released 27-August-2010
* Added - Major overhaul for the FirstLight manual. Much more up-to-date and useful.
* Added - support for uncompressed quality profiles for 422 and 444 encodes -- to be used primarily in third party battery operated capture tools to reduce CPU load.
* Enhanced -- StereoMux and Convert3D utilities to support shell operations (these tools are normally invoked from FirstLight.)
* Enhanced -- all components rebuilt under the latest Intel compiler.
* Fixed -- HDLink running on systems not used C:/ for their OS.
* Fixed -- Convert3D running on systems not used C:/ for their OS.
* Fixed -- changed export presets under CS5 to avoid a Premiere crash (there is a bug Adobe is working on, this patch alleviates the issue.)

Keith Gresham
August 28th, 2010, 08:11 AM
FYI:

Just updated to 5.1.1. Now I get an error message about the CineForm\CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm plugin not being able to load when starting AE CS5. I rolled back to 5.1.0 and the error is gone. Also I am unable to run the cineplayer dvd decoder options in control panel. It crashes when I click on a tab. Rolling back did not fix that. (I'm on Windows 7 64-bit Avid certified system.)

Keith

Craig Irving
August 28th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I get that Importer error when I launch AE now too.

David Newman
August 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I have found what that is, there will be a fix hopefully later today. The importer is trying to load the 32-bit not 64-bit decoder.

David Newman
August 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM
The downloads have been patched. The importer will now work in AE CS5. Re-download the same link and inside the zip will be 5.1.1.270a, which is the new patched version. Sorry about this, I lot of components were touched with the compiler change, but this is a good thing going forward.

Leo Baker
August 28th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hello David,

I un-installed the previous version, and I put the hotfix version a on. But on loading After Effects I am still getting the message about it ca't load the common file?

Thanks,

LEo

David Newman
August 28th, 2010, 06:06 PM
It might be something else as that patch worked for me. To find the reason download the 64bit version of dependency walker -- it is free. Find the importer in Program Files/abode/common/cs5/mediacore/CineForm and load the .prm into depends.exe - it will tell you if there are missing important DLLs. Only the top level DLLs are important, like Cfhddecoder64.dll

Lauri Kettunen
August 29th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Same thing here, (even) the new(est) version does ot work with CS5. Rolled back to the previous CF version. If it matters: OS Windows 7 is not on disk C but instead on D as C contains the old OS Windows 64bit XP

Another question, when I export from AE CS5 the default encoding quality of CF codec is LowHD. But basically, that's what I never want. Is it possible to change the defaults?

Carlos Bustamante
August 29th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Dependency Walker reports the following on my system:
for Import
GPSVC.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL
can not be found.
Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

for Export
NTDLL.DLL
Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.

I am runing CS5 on Win 7 Pro (64bits).

David Newman
August 29th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Carlos,

This is what depends shows when all is fine. The Warnings are not a concern.

Can you should me how you are seeing those errors with a screen grab? I need to know which DLL/Module is of a "different CPU type", which like means not 64-bit.

Thanks

Leo Baker
August 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hello David,

I just did a clean install of my HPXW8600, put Windows 7 pro 64bit back on, HP Drivers,Itunes/Quicktime 64bit, Windows updates, Adobe Production Premium cs5, Updates, Cineform a fix.

I get an error loadingAfter Effects as well and when using Dependcey Wlaker I get this error pleae see my screengrab.

Thanks David.

Leo

David Newman
August 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
That is the old version, prior to the patch. So it should already be fixed. When you do the download the zip file should contain NeoXX-5.1.1.270a-Setup.exe -- only the 'a' version has the patch. I have personally confirmed both the NeoHD are Neo3D are good. But it seem Neo4K didn't get the update, working on that now.

Leo Baker
August 29th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hello David,

The NEO4k I downloaded yesterday in the zip it had

Neo4K-5.1.1.270a-setup

Thanks,

Leo

Craig Irving
August 29th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I too believe that there is a greater problem with this build. I always assume the fault is on me (or Adobe), but I've rolled back twice to 5.1.0 and each time it solves the problem.

I've also done a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit and Adobe as recently as last week, and when I open projects in Premiere Pro I get errors during the conform stage upon loading, and most of the CF footage has lines through it on the timeline.

I figured this problem was noticed when the "a" build was compiled, but upon installing that I still had the same problem. I thought my project was surely corrupted somehow, as I tried cleaning the Media Cache folder (and even moving it to a different drive) but none of this worked to restore my project. The only thing that did was rolling back again to 5.1.0....for what it's worth, everything works now under that previous build.

David Newman
August 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Yes, however Neo4K had the old data within, refreshed now as 270A. Doing builds on the weekends is tricky as I'm doing a remote login with a poor bandwidth connection, resulting in me accidentally renaming the old build rather than the new with the 'a' designator.

David Newman
August 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
All is working fine now, I've tested NeoHD, Neo4K, Neo3D, and NeoScene has the correct components.

Note: it is confusing when we get error reports without report which software you are using. Only Neo4K was broken after the patch, and it to is now fixed.

Leo Baker
August 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hello David,

Thanks this has worked on Neo4k on WIndow s7 64bit pro.

I loaded the file aagin into depencey walker and get this only error now
I get a yellow question mark.
IESHIMMS.DLL Error Opening FIle The System cannot file the file specified (2)

Is that okay to have?

Thanks again,

Leo

David Newman
August 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM
The IESHIMMS.DLL error is on my system also, but it is not an issue.

Craig Irving
August 29th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Which dependency is/was related to the conform audio issue in Premiere Pro? Could it be this one, possibly? Because I'm still getting it (although only with a small number of clips as opposed to all of them).

Anyway, the new build is useable now. All my clips are appearing fine in the timeline now.

Thanks!

Leo Baker
August 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hello Craig,

Check David Newman's post here
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/480332-new-peak-files-every-time-2.html#post1542104

I had the same problem and the above solution fixs it, I get no audio re-conforming now.

Leo

Craig Irving
August 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Wow. That's excellent! Thanks for passing that along, Leo. I must have missed that before.

That's a BIG help.

Alex Raskin
August 29th, 2010, 08:22 PM
5.1.1 (BEFORE today) was re-conforming files even if the XMP write was unchecked.

Julian Frost
August 29th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I just did the upgrade to Neo HD, and the Project presets I used for earlier projects are no longer getting loaded into Premier Pro CS3. When I try to open a project I was working on a few weeks ago, I get the following error:

"The editing mode used by this project could not be loaded. The project will be opened in Desktop mode."

If I try to create a new project, Premier Pro CS3 does not see ANY of the Cineform presets, even though they are in the presets folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Settings\en_US\CineForm). They are all listed as Prospect presets.

Cedric Pottier
August 30th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I have the same problem as you.
Under CS3, Cineform presets are no longer available.
I've checked the files and everything seems to be ok.

The workaround is to recreate manually my favorite preset in order to use Cinefrom projects again.

David Newman
August 30th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I Just tried NeoHD and Neo3D and I still get presets in CS3. As presets are not a directly impacted by the changes we've made please report this to support as we will like need information about your systems. I'm out for the day, so Jake is your contact.

Jake Segraves
August 30th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Yes, please e-mail me at support or open a ticket. I see a lot in my inbox this Monday morning, but I will get to all of it before the day is over. Thanks guys.

Julian Frost
August 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Jake,

You were typing your reply, as I was submitting my trouble ticket! :-)

Cedric Pottier
August 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I use a french version of Premiere Pro CS3.
The "Cineform" preset directory is only present on C:\Program Files (x86)\adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Settings\en_us

If you copy "cineform" directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Settings\fr_FR
the presets are back again for new projects.

Regards.

Julian Frost
August 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Cedric,

That's a good work-around for those using CS3 on non-English Windows installations, but, unfortunately, it won't work for the rest of us!

It's a good catch... It shows that the installer is apparently not looking closely enough to see where it should be placing the presets (IE. disregarding the Windows language setting). One of the fixes in this latest release was to make sure it installed correctly on disks other than the C: drive.

Leo Baker
August 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hello David,

I have found a few issues with NEO4k.

I am using the latest NEO4K build from yesterday with the 64bit fix that was spoken about on the DVINFO forum.

I have noticed

1. NLE SYNC in Firstlight does not update any more when I scrub a frame in Adobe Premiere pro cs5, although all my media is loaded into Firstlight with the NLE sync option enabled.

2. I also noticed on checking the Cineform license when each application loads and shows the splash before the app loads Firstlight goes to NEO 3d, and HDLINK goes to NEO4k?

Pointing that out in case NEO4K users are getting the 3d which is much more expensive in this build.

3. Sometimes when converting clips Canon 5d h264's into Cineform the progress bar in HDLINK can stop updating and it never finishes. Happens always with a batch, not single files.

I try it again and then it completes, seems to do this only with certain files the same normally.

Saving them as the same frame rate 23.976 also 1920x1080 so just a straight conversion to Cineform with-in HDlink.

4. I create a new branch in my database, for example grade2, the original DB in Firstlight no adjustements were made, so I switch to the branch selector in Firstlight and set the grade 2 branch to work from I do my grades to the clips, then when I go to the original DB in Firstlight which has no changes the grades I have just done are in DB as well?

Cedric Pottier
August 31st, 2010, 01:16 PM
A big issue with neo4k 5.1.1b270a

On CS3 when opening an existing project, i get a green screen on record window and the red line on the timeline for the entire project. no scrubing available.
reverse back to 5.1.0 and everything seems to be ok.

i will stay with 5.1.0 for a moment... what a big stress!
i will investigate later what's going on and if it's only on my system.

Alex Raskin
August 31st, 2010, 01:33 PM
I am a fan and a friend of Cineform. Invested a lot of money in their products (starting with Aspect HD) and upgrades, and am very happy with the results.

Having said that... as a friend, I have to say that maybe it would be better to hold releasing new features until existing product is perfected.

Cineform for CS5 was said to be largely trouble-free, since CS5 itself is a much better release than previous iterations. In reality, I cannot even use the Cineform RT mode in premiere CS5 as I did, say, in Premiere 2.0.

David and the gang: you guys are brilliant. Please do consider better quality control of all your new releases though.

Oh, and why still no drag-and-drop ability in HDlink Convert view? This issue grew a long beard already ;)

Leo Baker
August 31st, 2010, 03:32 PM
I have not had any problems ediitng on cs5 with Cineform, it works fine. There are a few slight issues I found but these are nothing major to stop me working.

Cineform have a great with a fast and amazing quality visual work-flow. Cineform have always been open to their customers, about issues.

Saying about quality control, this only sounds like its being said because David had to fix NEO4k, also David did this fix on a Sunday a few hours after being notified, how many companies do this!?

I think people are giving them a hard time of all of a sudden and the issues brought up are not stopping most people with workflows.

Leo Baker
August 31st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Also CS3 is over 3 years old, CIneform have been relaly good supporting the older software when CS5 is out and 1000 times better, more stable and flexible then cs3.

Julian Frost
August 31st, 2010, 05:29 PM
CS3 may be old... but the Cineform products are, and were, sold as being compatible with it, and many people bought their Cineform products when CS3 was the latest and greatest release. CS3 had (and still has) problems, but so do the Cineform products. We've had stable releases from Cineform, but we've also had releases which were seriously "broken."

Thankfully, the guys at Cineform generally do a really good job at fixing bugs, but it is a little annoying to have such a moving target, where a release works, but an update breaks the product. For example, not being able to edit any of my existing projects, or create a new Cineform project because the presets no longer load, is a major pain. Jake is working with me to get my problem solved, even going as far as to do a remote access session to see if he can see what's going on. Hopefully we'll resolve this issue very soon.

Leo Baker
August 31st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hello,

I was on cs3 until recently but the Adobe bugs made me upgrade to cs5. As I was always getting out of memory errors under 64 bit with cs3 and annoying crashes.

Cineform worked nicely but always the worry that an update may break things.

So when I had a working setup I cloned that disc in case of any issues. What about a previous build can you roll back when your projects were opening and you could edit? Nothing more annoying then not being able to get into a project.

I was scared about upgrading to cs5 incase the situation was more crashes then before and a whole new set of issues.

Thankfuly things are going great on Windows 64bit with cs5 and Cineform. Maybe it's the 64bit and newer updates.

Leo

Stephen Armour
August 31st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Just a bit of a grump to add to the mix here. We're long time CF users, with a mix of workstations using CS3 and CS5. We had to go back to the previous release, as this 5.1.1 just has too many bugs and quirks.

Sorry I don't have the time to lay them out, but they are there and are real. It all started with a poorly loading updater and got worse. A roll-back cleared it all up again, so we'll wait for sunnier days and edit as usual until then.

David Newman
August 31st, 2010, 08:28 PM
Please report bugs to support, so they can be fixed in the next version; don't say they are there and not tell anyone the particulars. 5.1.1 is actually mostly same code as 5.1.0 but we were forced do to update to the developer tools -- most of the issues are related to missing DLLs that the new tools are needing on some installs. The new dev tools will mean faster code and more efficient development, but a rough patch during the change over. Things are being fixed fast as they are reported. We will likely do a release with some extra microsoft DLLs that solve most on the odd issues.

Stephen Armour
September 1st, 2010, 04:50 AM
I am a fan and a friend of Cineform. Invested a lot of money in their products (starting with Aspect HD) and upgrades, and am very happy with the results.

Having said that... as a friend, I have to say that maybe it would be better to hold releasing new features until existing product is perfected.

Cineform for CS5 was said to be largely trouble-free, since CS5 itself is a much better release than previous iterations. In reality, I cannot even use the Cineform RT mode in premiere CS5 as I did, say, in Premiere 2.0.

David and the gang: you guys are brilliant. Please do consider better quality control of all your new releases though.

Oh, and why still no drag-and-drop ability in HDlink Convert view? This issue grew a long beard already ;)

Alex already said it pretty well in his quote above.

Installation "bugs" are often not really bugs, they can also reflect poor quality control before release. Your new "value added features" are usually welcome, but should never be at the expense of stability or normal function.

I would venture that most of us using this forum don't have the luxury of "testing" machines laying around, but are usually in the middle of productions when updating. Most are probably like us and have little time to try to figure out WHY or WHERE something is broken, or to even communicate that fact! We just want and need stable systems to get us to the next deadline relatively unscathed! In our mostly-Windows-world, just that is a big challenge in of itself. Usually when a new update goes wrong, we don't have time to figure out why or where, but thankfully have the rollbacks to earlier stable versions to fall back upon. Sometimes people are "in between" productions and can take precious time to work with your support to figure out where things went wrong....but often that is not the case. If we go back to the buggy version, we risk losing everything or damaging something beyond repair, so it's often just not worth it.

David Newman
September 1st, 2010, 09:06 AM
We always said not to upgrade mid-project, this is should be a habit for anyone's product.

As for quality control, part of our charm is we release new features when there are added, we don't wait 18 months for beta testing and collection a bunch of new features at once. I don't think we will be changing this as generally people like it. The downside is, don't update mid-project -- it is reasonable trade-off.

While we should have done our regular 7 day beta window, and we will return to doing that, we choose to released this version as soon as we could as is much more stable, we had some key intel from Adobe to fix a recurring Premiere CS5 crash.

Now back to addressing the problems you are having to get them solved in the next build -- please file clear bug reports with support.

Mikael Bergstrom
September 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hello

I need the NEO 4K 5.1.0, where can i find it?

Regards
Mikael

Leo Baker
September 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hello Mikael,

Update to NEO 4K v5.10 Build 268: http://www.cineform.com/downloads/Neo4Kv510b268-100810.zip

Leo