View Full Version : 2 different room tones

Mark Ahrens
September 4th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Any advice on trying to equate to different takes? One was outside (no reverb, clean, some occasional bird chirps) and the other take was in a small office (some reverb and slight A/C/vent noise).

Both were recorded with an NTG2 . . . my first use of my new mic. I'm pleased with the sound; but i can hear the tonal difference between the two takes and they butt up against each other, so it's really obvious (to me).

I'm not happy with the noise reduction tradeoff.
Should i loop the room tone and underlay it under the exterior take and add reverb?

I'm using Soundtrack Pro 3.
It's a 30 second interview/story for web delivery to be melded into a larger presentation, likely with music bed.
Side question: Do you ever think that you're being too picky, with headphones on and listening intently?

Steve House
September 4th, 2010, 06:19 AM
If they're supposed to be in the same place then variations in background could be a problem but if it's visually obvious that the two abutting shots were filmed in two different spots and it's logical that it might have happened that way, the audience will accept the difference. Perhaps dissolving between the two shots to suggest they are happening closely together in time but in two different places instead of cutting between them would help smooth the flow. It would be very disconcerting, though, if it were supposed to be a conversation, such as an interviewer asking a question and then the interviewee answering it, and it was shot with one side of the conversation indoors and the otherside outdoors, or vice versa