View Full Version : What is your way of taping the speeches??

Kelly Langerak
September 9th, 2010, 10:13 PM
For DSLR Shooters>

I've seen some really solid looking speeches recorded lately from other artist. How do you shoot your two camera speeches? I've been using two or three "Reception" lighting, but the lighting is ehhh! Then I connect my H4N to the DJ booth. What is a must have at your weddings in terms of lighting, camera angles, any preplanning with the B&G, and sound. Do add a wireless mic to capture audio.

I also want to know if any of you attach your H4N to your DSLR and why? What is your workflow if you do use this technique?

Any tips on how to capture this at the pro level is very much appreciated.

Thank way in advance.

Kelly Langerak
San Francisco, Bay Area, California!

Matthew Craggs
September 10th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Hi Kelly,

We shoot with two cameras. One at the speaker, one at the bride and groom. We press stop after each speaker is done, or the recording time is approaching 10 minutes or so. During the bride and groom speeches one camera is on the bride and groom, and we try to find who they are talking about with the other camera.

One Zoom takes a feed right from the DJ or venue sound board, and one Zoom records from the Sennheiser G2 on the podium. In the rare instances where we can't get the DJ or venue feed, we use two Sennheiser G2 kits on the podium.

Kelly Langerak
September 10th, 2010, 10:03 PM
That's pretty much what I do. The audio is decent. What about lighting? What do you use when you are outside and it's pitch dark to the cameras? I like the reception lights but I'm looking for something that I can plug in and floods the evenly.