View Full Version : Sonnet P2/Sxs reader for PC - take care.

Bo Skelmose
September 13th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Sonnet announce two new P2/SXS readers for PC but be aware before you order !
I have bought a Qio - maybe a year ago but the Windows driver is not available yet - although the homepage through this year have promised it will be soon :(

Dan Brockett
September 14th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Do you have a link Bo? Can't find 'em on the Sonnet site.

Dan

Bo Skelmose
September 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Hi
Look here Sonnet - News & Media (http://www.sonnettech.com/news/pr2010/pr091010_qiomr.html)
and here Sonnet - News & Media (http://www.sonnettech.com/news/pr2010/pr091010_qioe3.html)

Great as one of them will fit into a PC cabinet - but my concern is if Sonnet ever will introduce a PC driver.

TingSern Wong
September 21st, 2010, 08:32 AM
Don't bother with Sonnet - just go for Panasonic AJ-PCD2 USB2 card reader. Very reliable.

Dan Brockett
September 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM
I have the AJ-PCD2 and I concur, it has been excellent. It has taken all of the drama out of downloading P2. Works well too for re-formatting P2 cards. It's an expensive piece of plastic but it does work really well.

Dan

Tom Klein
September 22nd, 2010, 01:08 AM
I have not taken the plunge yet on the AJ-PCD2, as down under here it's being advertised for $570,
a very expensive piece of plastic....and only One slot... bend one pin and it's all over...
In percentage terms camparing it to the PCD35E ($2,860) it's near as the same dollar value per card slot... interesting how Retail pricing is set.

Cheers from Downunder

Ed Dooley
September 22nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
$570AUD is $546.19 in US dollars. I just bought one for $349USD ($364.13AUD)
Ed

Tom Klein
September 23rd, 2010, 03:08 AM
Hi Ed,

Try buying on for $364.13 AUD here downunder is what I meant, sorry.

cheers

Dan Brockett
September 23rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Out of everyone I see on the boards, Aussies, in particular, seem to get totally screwed on price, especially compared to us in North America and a lot of Asia. Our poor colleagues in the EU don't seem to get off much better either. Even taking into account the relative strength and weakness of the different currencies, it seems as if you guys really pay through the nose down under.

Why is that? You think it's just because the size of the market, because the markets for our gear is relatively small in a lot of countries?

Dan

George Odell
September 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
Don't bother with Sonnet - just go for Panasonic AJ-PCD2 USB2 card reader. Very reliable.

My question is why bother with any of these expensive external readers if you can download P2 cards using a simple laptop with internal card slot.

I purchased a small used Dell D410 for $120 and use the PCMCIA slot. I can save files to a cheap external drive or to one the client supplies for the shoot. Other than the fact that I dislike the P2 software, the method works great and I have the computer onsite for other uses.

Tom Klein
September 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
Out of everyone I see on the boards, Aussies, in particular, seem to get totally screwed on price, especially compared to us in North America and a lot of Asia. Our poor colleagues in the EU don't seem to get off much better either. Even taking into account the relative strength and weakness of the different currencies, it seems as if you guys really pay through the nose down under.
Why is that? You think it's just because the size of the market, because the markets for our gear is relatively small in a lot of countries?

Dan

Hi Dan,

I don't think it's the size of the market, funnily the Big ticket items like P2 cameras etc are I believe really cheap and of great value compared to big brother Sony gear, But, when you look at the smaller add on items that are needed, well then the cost is excessive I believe compared to your yankee market.
Our currency is very strong here, but, it's always lower than the Yankee dollar, thus making imports much more expensive, even now we a good rate of exchange, BUT, the cost of the imported items remains at inflated levels. Dealers will tell you that is the case because they imported product at the bottom of the market and the current peak won't last.... (any excuse to keep prices up).

Cheers