View Full Version : chroma-key lighting set-up- Divalite, caselight, prolight, dedos

Mark Joseph
September 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM
We had a need for flexible kit to light 1-4 people in a 'studio' approx 20' x 16', but remain portable for on-location interviews and live event lighting (banners, spot etc). Keeping room cool was a priority!

Existing kit incl: 2x Lowell Caselight2, Prolight and a Lightpanels Micro all daylight balanced. That was before a green-screen was requested, to the above I added 2x Divalite 401, another prolight and 2x Dedo classic 150W. I poured over the dedo catalogue trying to get my head around everything I needed - all these bits had to specified separately on a purchase order: 8 leaf barndoors, dichroic filters, the separate dimmable power supplies (so we can mount lights low on floor), DP1 projector attachment, gobos, coloured glass filters, manfrotto stands, gels, diffuser/reflector etc.

Dedos intended for background/gobos, small event lighting. I was concerned with Dedo used as highlight/edge light etc. I think I lose a stop with Dichroic correction to daylight, the separate dimmer power supplies is also useful to lower them down and they're not hugely powerful so I think they will be regularly used with our Sony 1/3" and 1/2" sensor cameras.

We've got a wall painted with Rosco digicomp green, plan to light wall with Divalights, key & fill with caselights hairlight with pro lights if needed, Dedos could be used for kicker/edge if needed. I don't expect to be keying more than 1 talent, although this should do for a 'newsroom' 2-shot if need be too.

That's the theory first test next week!

Seth Bloombaum
October 1st, 2010, 03:26 PM
Are green tubes available for the diva 401? I've *really* liked lighting the screen with the larger 4-ft. fixtures with green tubes. There is no greener screen I've ever seen... the vectorscope display is an impressive single green dot.

Mark Joseph
October 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
blue, green, gold, pink, 3200 & 5600 whatever you need:

Kino Flo Visual Effects and Designer Colors (http://www.kinoflo.com/Kino%20Flo%20lamps/Visual%20Effects%20and%20Designer%20Colors/Visual%20Effects%20and%20Designer%20Colors.htm)

I pulled a nice, clean key last week using the TrueMatch KF55 daylight bulbs - needed to back the Divalites off a fair bit - with everything matched at least I can swap the caselights in and use the divalites for talent lighting, especially if I'm only lighting a portion of our 5m screen for single person. I went with KF55 bulbs because at a moments notice I need to change move them to light an interview or larger group with no chroma-key.