View Full Version : pal to ntsc

Noa Put
September 27th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I"m from pal land (Belgium - Europe) but have a client to deliver to who lives in America, I do use Tmpgenc to make my dvd compliant files but if I choose the ntsc template I only have one framerate available (29.97)

Is this normal for ntsc? Since the source footage is 25fps, won't it change the footage speed if you play it on a ntsc player?

Eric Darling
September 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM
NTSC video is 29.97 fps. You will need to transcode your footage. Many options exist... DV Film Atlantis, the Natress converter plug-ins for FCP, Telestream's Episode software... I don't know of any decent free alternatives, unfortunately. Maybe someone else does...

Noa Put
September 27th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Thx for your answer eric,
Isn't it the same if I just use Tmpgenc for this purpose? It does have a NTSC template. My only concern was the change in framerate would effect the playback on a NTSC dvd player.

Eric Darling
September 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I'm unfamiliar with that software, but I don't think it does a proper transcode, where new frames get built in order to maintain temporal resolution. You need to use software that specifically builds new frames based on settings you adjust in order to do so. The software I mentioned all do it, but I'm not sure about Tmpgenc. If you are not doing that, you will see your footage and hear your audio going too fast in your new version, as it clicks by 5 frames per second faster than it should.

Anton Strauss
September 27th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Thx for your answer eric,
Isn't it the same if I just use Tmpgenc for this purpose? It does have a NTSC template. My only concern was the change in framerate would effect the playback on a NTSC dvd player.

Tmpeg 4 Xpress will give you the best Pal to NTSC conversion, I do it all the time, it leaves ProCoder for dead

Enrique Orozco Robles
September 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
..I´ve made some NTSC-DVDs from PAL, converting my PAL files to NTSC-24p (using Vegas) ... very good final results and NTSC compatibility .... playable on every NTSC-DVD player out there ,,, conversion very fast and good file sizes compared to transcoding to 29.97 ....

my 2 cents... good luck

Eric Darling
September 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM
NTSC is ONLY ever 29.97 fps. 24 is non-standard, and for you to be able to use 24 frame material in NTSC, it must be pulled down from 29.97.