View Full Version : Scratches on Discs after burning

Helen Habib
October 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
I'm working with a new iMac. The first disc I burned has 4 videos and 1 slideshow. The slideshow had a little problem with regard to a flicker that was appearing in the transition from one photo to the other. I really didn't notice any other problem at all with the rest of the videos. However, on turning the disc over, saw that it had several scratch marks in one area and a straight line of marks in another area that looks like a miniature bar code.

Thinking that the disc had the scratches, I burned another one. Turned it over to make sure it was perfect first, and it was. Now that I burned the videos again, the exact scratches are coming out exactly the same way. And there's a problem with the slideshow on that one too.

What do I do now?? Why is it scratching the discs?!

Helen Habib
October 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Thought the pics could've been edited. Here the images show the kind of scratches I'm seeing. The one at left is the 'bar code' type scratches and the one on the right are long scratches.

Andy Wilkinson
October 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
The key word is NEW. Contact Apple and get it sorted under warranty.

John Gerard
October 3rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
I would have Apple replace the Dvd drive. I have a Sony notebook that started doing the same thing. It would scratch the Discs while reading them. I had it fixed and no more problems. At least for notebook Dvd/Cd drives I think these are ok for reading but lousy at Writing. I just use an external USB drive to burn disks. I tried writing/copping DVDs on my sisters iMac a 2005 computer and I kept getting errors.

John Gerard

Helen Habib
October 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Thank you for your replies. :-) Yes, it's still under warranty. I'm kinda surprised that the iMac turned out this problem so early in the game. I've already had to call them and get some software things sorted out after purchasing. Anyway, nothing's perfect, and it's a great system.

William Hohauser
October 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
That's a mechanical defect in the drive. Have it replaced.

Helen Habib
October 3rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Will do. Thanks.