View Full Version : First Short Film

Eric Knopp
October 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Greetings, folks!

It's amateur hour in the video community. Filmed and edited in a couple of hours.
Soundtrack is not original. Credit goes to Harry Gregson-Williams.

Camera was a little Canon ZR800 (SD) with a home-built stabilizer.
Edited with Premiere Elements 7

I'd love any feedback. I know it's not great, but I also want to learn to make things better.
That being said, the proverbial flame suit is on.

Semi-Action Short on Vimeo

Personally, what I loved about this project was how limited I was. I had minimal control over the image since the ZR800 lacks most manual controls and had no lights or reflectors and was thereby forced to adapt my shooting style to the poorly-lit environment over which I had very limited control.

It was definitely a challenge, but one I enjoyed.
It made me wish I had a better camera, though, that's for sure.

What I would do differently:
Lots of things, but to start:
1. There was zero color correction in post. A couple of slight contrast adjustments was all I did. I kinda threw the project together, but kinda liked the darker/grittier look as well. Taking time to do a little correction would have probably been a good idea.

2. Better effects auto. The opening is a little treble-ly and doesn't sound great.

3. An original sound track

Alan Melville
October 11th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Eric,

I think, considering what you had to shoot with, [no pun intended :)] you didn't a bad job.

Story was a bit loose....right to the end.....then bingo, it fell into place.

I could say a lot about it but what I'm going to say is;

Save your money, buy the best gear you can afford, i.e., look for quality, not quantity. If its going to take an extra month to get the $$$$ together to enable you to get what you need, hang out that extra month.

I reckon you'll do OK.

Al