View Full Version : Anyone know if JVC is coming out with LoLux for the 700/790 cams???

Steve J. Nordahl
October 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I've found announcements and snippets relating to a possible new firmware for ProHD cams but not clear if it will be made available for the 700/790 cams. Here is a short description on what it will do.

From Studiodaily.com

"JVC has developed new firmware for its ProHD cameras that enhances the performance by increasing the gain and sensitivity, allowing pristine HD images to be captured at night. And it does so while introducing very little noise into the picture, something low-light shooters have struggled with for years.

Called LoLux, the software gives the user 30, 36 and 42 db of gain, specs offered on more expensive cameras, in addition to the gain settings that ship with the camera’s standard software. LoLux is comprised of half electrical gain and half light accumulation through the shutter. The result is a clean image with few artifacts and little picture noise."

I found this on the JVC Site but that's all: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/broadcast/exclusive_products.jsp

Anyone have more info?

Steve

George Kilroy
October 8th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Thanks Steve that looks very interesting. The one thing that has disappointed me with my 700 is it's poor low light performance, though I do realise that this is a characteristic of HD format acquisition generally, as compared with DVcam, so I'm not knocking this camera in particular.

I notice that the information in the link refers to it as "Exclusive products for Broadcasters". I wonder it it will be made available to us mere mortals who are not involved in broadcast production.

I will contact my contact at JVC here in London to see what I can find out.

Stephen Dougherty
October 8th, 2010, 09:55 AM
My fingers are crossed on this one

Eric Deyerler
October 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
yesterday I asked the head of sales from JVC Europe - and he said to me, the new firmware is only available with extracost in USA for the TV-stations in the USA when they need to shot some Videojournalist
footage in lowlight-areas with LoLux. The firmware works in the HM700 and HM790.

Steve J. Nordahl
October 11th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Thanks Eric for finding that out.

Now since I am in America and I do work freelancing with a local station, I need to find out from JVC USA if I can qualify for the upgrade and at what cost. If anyone is here from JVC please have someone contact me regarding this enhancement.

Thanks,
Steve, NS3L@yahoo.com

George Kilroy
October 12th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I've had a reply back from JVC in London. The enhancement to low light recording is in the firmware upgrade that allows the use of class 10 cards.

Daniel Marr
October 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The one thing that has disappointed me with my 700 is it's poor low light performance, though I do realise that this is a characteristic of HD format acquisition generally, as compared with DVcam, so I'm not knocking this camera in particular.

It's got more to do with the CCD sensor rather than the HD format. CMOS sensors are better for lowlight but have the rolling shutter effect. The CCD's don't have rolling shutter but have lower lowlight performance.

Calvin Bellows
October 12th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I wonder why JVC would make us pay for a firmware update. It is bad enough I have to ship my 700 to JVC to get a firmware update.

Eric Deyerler
October 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
It is not a standard upgrade, only for TV-stations or videojournalists who need Lowlight Footage. Other users shouldn't use the LoLux-Mode.

Marc Colemont
March 6th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Any news on this for us who also have to record events and struggle with the low sensitivity of the JVC camera's?

David Heath
March 6th, 2011, 05:28 PM
"LoLux is comprised of half electrical gain and half light accumulation through the shutter. The result is a clean image with few artifacts and little picture noise."
I suspect the phrase they have missed out of that press release may be along the lines of "with smearing introduced on movement".

If they're using light accumulation through the shutter, it sounds very much like a shutter speed much LONGER than the frame rate. That will certainly give a better image in very low light conditions - as long as the subject doesn't move. Any movement will likely have a ghostly trail. (Think the X-files titles.)

For some situations it may be a useful tool - but don't think it's givng you a more sensitive camera on the cheap. It'll likely be tarding noise for movement smearing.