View Full Version : Need advice on how to make an engaging speech/presentation:

Simon Zimmer
October 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hello,

I need some creative ideas on how to do a speech/presentation on the country Colombia.

The presentation should be approximately 30 minutes and will be shown via a projector, screen and sound system. The last 5 minutes of the presentation will be about our non-profit which works in Colombia providing appropriate water solutions for poor rural communities.

Via our experiences with the non-profit we have lots of photos, videos and interesting stories on what the Colombia is really like. I “think” I want to do live narration while I discuss what is happening in the photos and videos. However, I could also record narration for some of the video clips. I am not sure what works
better for a live audience.

Has anyone done similar work before?

Does anyone have a good example of an interesting and engaging presentation similar to what I am trying to do? Maybe it exists on youtube or vimeo and you could provide me with a link? If so, that would be great.

I am trying to avoid the boring standard PowerPoint presentation. Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I should add that I have my own video company so I am capable of making short videos depending on the topic; with or without narration.

I look forward to everyone’s suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Richard Lucas
October 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM
When I was in the corporate world, I never met a presentation that I didn't want to give. I made PP sing and dance, until I learned something better. I went through a company sponsored presentation training course and I never used PP again.

I can't give you the whole course, but here are a couple of guidelines.
- Use a white/blackboard and at least one flip chart
- Write 3 major points and your conclusion on the flip chart but twist them a bit so they won't know what you really mean by them. Refer back to those points and clarify the meaning once you complete each point.
- Bring lots of stuff. I used to use toys, but you probably brought back interesting stuff so bring that. Show it. Use it in explaining your points if necessary. Using things as analogies for concepts can be very effective
- Show the pictures on a screen but not part of a PowerPoint. You don't need that.
- Make it personal. Walk away from the lectern and lean or sit on a table to tell personal stories. Very effective technique.
- Write only the most important points on the white board. Use it to draw things, diagrams, etc. Doesn't have to be artsy, but it will help bring the audience along as you make your points.
- At the conclusion, tie it into what you wrote on the flip chart. Don't say, "thank you" or "any questions". Say, "what do you think?" I guarantee that a significant part of the audience will be nodding.

I know these are just some bare bones tips. There's a lot more to it but it will bring the audience into your presentation much more than a PP ever will.

Edit: video can be used very effectively in this format. Short segments/interviews can tell a lot. I worked briefly with Graham Nash when he was putting together his "Lifesighs" program back in the mid 90s. He was going to do something very similar to what you'll be doing. He didn't have the technology then that you do now, so it should be fairly easy to do.

If you want to know more, contact me off-line and I'll try to give you more info.

Simon Zimmer
October 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Richard,

Yes, I would be interested in knowing more.

Thanks for your interesting tips.

The part about how to integrate video with a speech is something I want to do correctly.

Thanks and I will PM you now.

Simon

Sareesh Sudhakaran
October 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Great advice Richard. Simple is best.

Anthony Walters
October 21st, 2010, 05:13 AM
Richard,

That's fantastic advice, concisely put. Would have loved to have listened to one of your presentations no matter what the subject.

Anthony