View Full Version : Format hell and workflow advice

Andy Peterson
October 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I just shot a motorcycle film using several different cameras and formats.

The 2 primary cameras were my old Sony FX1, a new Sony NEX-VG10, 2 smaller
Sony HDV cameras, and a Canon T2i.

We also implemented a ton of GoPro and Contour HD cameras for action and helicopter mount shots.

Now back in the edit suite, I'm face to face with the issue of finding a solid workflow.

I've searched a bunch, and have learned a lot along the way, but I'm hoping to avoid a lot of trial and error.

(on a recommendation, I tried transcoding 1 minute of GoPro footage to ProRes LT, the file ended up being 32 gigs!)

If anyone has worked with and successfully mixed these formats, I'd love some feedback.

Thanks!

Peter Moretti
October 14th, 2010, 10:43 AM
This might help you w/ importing the GoPro stuff:

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports (http://www.goprocamera.com/tips/fcp.php)

Shaun Roemich
October 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
(on a recommendation, I tried transcoding 1 minute of GoPro footage to ProRes LT, the file ended up being 32 gigs!)

32GB for a minute in ProResLT means something went wrong. It shouldn't be ANYWHERE NEAR THAT big.

ADDENDUM:
Using the AJA Data Rate calculator on my iPod Touch, 1 minute of 1080P30 in ProResLT should be 877.3MB with 2 channels of audio.

Paul Cronin
October 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Andy have you solved the problem? I use GoPro with all types of other cameras on the same ProRes timeline? What NLE are you using?