View Full Version : Hope someone can give me some advice...

Chris Sigmon
October 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM
What is the trick for editing a cineform avi in final cut?

Here's the situation.... I have cineform avis at 1920 x 1080 produced on a PC with Premiere Pro CS5 (neoscene licensed on PC). I take those and load them into final cut. (I have neoscene for mac). The yellow render bars come up, and I get a message that the source materials have not been optimized to run in FCP! When I try to play the clip in the timeline, FCP stops with RT issues.

Can I not edit the avis... all I want to do is to join these large (already edited into a chapter) sections with some transitions and write back out to a mov file for compression to MP2 for dvd.

Is is necessary to transcode the Cineform AVI's to PRO RES, just to put some dissolves between the clips....

HELP Cineform Experts!

David Newman
October 15th, 2010, 05:14 PM
FCP doesn't like AVIs, but you can rewrap to MOV, much faster to generating ProRES files. Only issue is using NeoScene, not really design from cross-platform as it doesn't include the rewrap option. Download the trial of NeoHD and rewrap your files to MOV.

Michael Wisniewski
October 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Dave, I don't honestly know how many you'd sell, but I'd pay US$100 for a separate Cineform re-wrap utility that worked on both the Mac and the PC.

David Newman
October 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
We wouldn't sell enough. Rewrap is in included feature in NeoHD (or above) on both platforms. So instead $100 add another $270 and get NeoHD (if upgrading from NeoScene) you get a whole bunch more (FirstLight is best reason.) In addition to the GUI based functionality, NeoHD on the PC includes a shell utility to rewrap MOV to AVI or vise-versa.