View Full Version : Best format/render to post to Youtube? 2010

David Ruhland
October 31st, 2010, 06:11 AM
I have searched and searched and can not find any recent info on posting to Youtube. I am specifically looking for files from my Hi Def Canon. HD vs HQ

Is there a preferred format, bitrate, interpolation, pixel aspect ratio, etc? I am hoping someone will give us the updated 2010 version.

Thanks..

Gerald Webb
October 31st, 2010, 02:08 PM
I upload a fair bit of stuff, so Ill put 2 things out there.
For high quality its pretty obvious
H264, square pixel, 720p (1080p really is a waste as youtube crushes it so much anyway) 6-9Mbps, progressive.
But,
Ive been playing around at the other end, how low can you go, and have a watchable picture.
again, H264, square pixel, 640x360 (youtube native, its what they convert it to) progressive, 1-1.5Mbps.
eg. YouTube - SHORT STACK- Caralyn. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqmA1z-LUIA)
Just mention this because if you have average internet, the lower end is far more relevant and useful.

Milt Lee
November 1st, 2010, 10:22 AM
So when I look for h264 to render something into, it doesn't SEEM to be an option - clearly I don't know what Vegas refers to when you want to render something as an H.264 file.

I see lots of formats - main concept MPEG, main concept AVC etc etc.

Could you direct me to the right format?

The other thing that I'm curious about is that the original footage is shot with my Xacti and it starts out as a hd h.264 file, so I wonder how I can render it exactly the same thing that I start out with.

Thanks for any help!
Milt

Bruce Phung
November 1st, 2010, 11:48 AM
Render to mainConcept AVC that is H.264 codec. MP4

Gene Gajewski
November 2nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
YouTube really likes Sony AVC.

Use the Internet (1280x740) preset. Your videos will be instantly available since YouTube appears to like the file as-is without recompressing it.

Milt Lee
November 2nd, 2010, 09:39 PM
cool - that's great to know.

Gerald Webb
November 3rd, 2010, 12:20 AM
YouTube really likes Sony AVC.

Use the Internet (1280x740) preset. Your videos will be instantly available since YouTube appears to like the file as-is without recompressing it.

Im sorry but this is incorrect.
I gather you mean the 1280x720 pre set. but that is neither here nor there.
If you have a download manager, download your own clip, it will always be a smaller size than what you put up. Youtube always uses re compression, especially on the larger clips.
I read somewhere that if you uploaded a 640x360 f4v file, if it was the right bit rate, they dont re- compress, but I dont seem to be able to find the right "magical" bit rate that allows this to happen.
If you dont want your clip to be altered, use Vimeo.

David Ruhland
November 3rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
so what is suggested render frame rate? 1280x720?

David Ruhland
November 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
What am i doing wrong?

YouTube - Cheryl Roberts from Lexington KY sings with Neil McCoy GIE 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8vuVgHvbhc) why does it look so poor? Rendered at 6mps, 1280x720? H264

Gerald Webb
November 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Looks fine to me.
You are waiting for Youtube to finish encoding, about 30 mins after upload, yeah?
It always looks horrible at first.
Framerate can be whatever, it doesnt matter to Youtube what frame rate you use.

David Ruhland
November 4th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Yes Gerald you were correct.... I was looking immediately after loading.. I think im getting the hang of things..

Thanks to everyone for thier help!

Federico Perale
November 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
strange experience: I uploaded a raw file shot with my Sony EX1r (hence mpeg 2 in a mpeg4 container) shot 1920*1080 50i, and although it was accepted, the results are not fantastic at all

how is this possible?

Craig Longman
November 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM
First off, YouTube simply cuts a 1080 in half, taking every second scanline before it even starts converting the file. So it was only 540 lines that were converted. Then, perhaps YouTube just doesn't convert from 50i very well?

Also, as pointed out, did you wait for a while? It can take a bit before the best quality is available.

Federico Perale
November 12th, 2010, 10:48 AM
First off, YouTube simply cuts a 1080 in half, taking every second scanline before it even starts converting the file. So it was only 540 lines that were converted. Then, perhaps YouTube just doesn't convert from 50i very well?

Also, as pointed out, did you wait for a while? It can take a bit before the best quality is available.

yes thanks
I have waited a lot...it's now a few days old
my comparison was with an MTS file uploaded that I shot with a much inferior comsumer camcorder (a Panasonic HDC TM300)...
well the Panny footage is simply much nicer on youtube....but I wonder if it's AVCHD that's better received?

obviously the Panny was set at full HD as well

David Ruhland
November 13th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I just wanted to pop in and say thanks.. I am getting the hang of the you tube thing. I was suprised to find an email from a country music singers media manager asking for a copy of my video. I am honored esp since this video was shot hand held on my Canon HF-200 after having several beers!

I sure wish I would have been able to plug into thier audio.

YouTube - Candy Coburn Performs at GIE Show -Louisville, KY Oct 28, 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWPUlKz3Or4)

David Stoneburner
November 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Most of my other YouTube videos were converted to Divx because I liked the small file size and quicker rendering, but now with Vegas 9 and running 64bit, Divx no longer works so I tried the Sony AVHD internet 730p preset and I'm very happy with the result. Check it out
YouTube - Stoney D performs at MCH 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y0oRwKWQz4) Video of my son performing.

Erik Phairas
November 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM
That looks very clean David.

I'm always amazed that I have an EX3 and yet other uploaders with the same camera just blow my video away with the amount of clarity and sharpness of their videos. I just kinda gave up after a while and assumed it was because they are using nanoflash or final cut pro or something...

This is probably the sharpest video I have ever been able to upload and it was in direct sunlight and I used some ungoldly high bitrate Blu Ray mpeg2 format.

YouTube - Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber BMG in HD 1080p (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYdogEu4ig)

I might have adjusted the saturation a little but I don't really mess with the picture too much. I use the day time HQ picture profile that I got from the EX section for the camera too. It looks fine but look at this!

It's not on youtube but this is the same camera! I can hardly believe my camera could produce something this sharp and clean!

I must be stupid or something... ha ha.

Drury Plaza by the Arch - St. Louis, MO on Vimeo

Laurence Janus
November 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Youtube is constantly upgrading itself so I just upload the best quality I can (10Mbps wmv).
Though if you need your video to look good NOW then 720P is the best

David Ruhland
November 13th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Erik,

I know what your saying..I still love the way my canon GL2 shoots my SD stuff and have my sites on a XH-A1, but i cant get over the quality an unobtrusivness of this lil fella... love the Drury video..

Erik Phairas
November 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I just wish I could replicate the clarity of that vid. I see it all the time. I can never figure out what I do wrong. ha ha. My videos on vimeo or youtube look about the same so it's not because he is on vimeo.

Alan Emery
November 13th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hi Erik,

Try using a neutral density filter to get your f numbers down below f8. I found that almost no matter what lens I am using, it is sharper below f8. Anything I shoot in the f16 to f22 range almost always has that slightly hazy look. Also in post, you might try bringing your blackpoint in a bit more. Finally a hair of sharpening in unsharp mask -- something like 20 or 25 certainly helps mine.

Alan

Erik Phairas
November 14th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks I'll give that a try. :)

David Stoneburner
November 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Erik,
I thought the Barrett videos looked really clean. I'm shooting with an FX-7 and what you might want to do is look for settings on the web. I found some settings that other people have posted and have started to play with them. I know you have a lot more options with EX3. There are a couple schools of thought. Tweak your camera to get the shot you want or shoot on the main defaults and tweak in the editing software. Or you can find a happy medium between the two. Definitely look at your ND filters and try to get the f-stop down a little, again depending on the look you want.

Erik Phairas
November 14th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I was happy with the Barrett video until I saw what others are doing with the same camera.. ha ha. I'll give all the suggestions a try. Thanks guys!

David Ruhland
November 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM
So this morning I am attempting to upload the videos from my GL2 What are the optimal settings for this? I have been making the size 720x396 and the bitrate 10mps. The video is not looking to great..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DijlkIAZoIo

Thoughts?

Bruce Phung
November 14th, 2010, 11:34 AM
GL2 video look pretty darn good to me.

Erik Phairas
November 21st, 2010, 11:24 AM
I tried an experiment. I actually paid attention to what F-stop I was at...LOL, Even on a very overcast day with full ND engaged I had to use -3 gain to get it to F4 but you could instantly see a difference in sharpness. Then I could click off the ND filers and watch as the sharpness went away as the F stop increased.

I didn't upload anything to youtube but it seems that was the reason for the softness. Thanks guys!

Erik Phairas
November 28th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I know this is vimeo but I don't really use different settings for each site so it still applies.

I did this one and made sure the f-stop never went higher than f4. I think the video will speak for itself. I uploaded it in 1920x1080p as a really high bitrate blu ray mpeg 2.

Las Vegas - Citiscape (1080p) on Vimeo

David Ruhland
November 28th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks Erik I love it.... I thought i was seeing the beginning of an old western movie or the new show "the Defenders" at the beginning. Question for you...Did you hand hold your panning or have a tripod. The last minute the video sort of stuttered as it was panning... perhaps it was my computer.

Also after seeing your video I am going to have to get a new 16:9 widescreen monitor! I was atching it on an older CRT (4:3)

Great Job

Erik Phairas
November 28th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks David. I was using a crappy best buy tripod. Good thing too because it was hard enough to lug that one up that hill, let alone a heavy expensive tripod. :)

1080p on Vimeo is pretty hard on computers. I will upload it on youtube to see if that helps.