View Full Version : Hotel in St. Louis

Kyle McConaghy
November 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Here' a rough cut for a promotional video for a hotel. I would love to hear your thoughts on the images. Any tips to improve them? Thanks!

Drury Plaza by the Arch - St. Louis, MO on Vimeo

Shayne Weyker
November 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Image wise I only really had an issue with the color of the food (drinks are great). Kind of off, flat, under-saturated. I was kind of so-so on the glare effect on the buffet table shot though.

Editing wise I think the text, while nicely pinned to the video elements, repeats itself far too much and shouldn't normally repeat after a cut. Perhaps start your text on the first shot and complete it on the second shot? Or show the first part of the sentence on the first shot, and second half of the sentence on the second shot.

Oh and the music started out okay but got really really annoying by the end.

Charles Newcomb
November 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Curious: how did you get away with putting a commercial video on Vimeo? Their policy strictly prohibits it?

Keith Dobie
November 6th, 2010, 10:41 PM
It's a good question Charles, but I don't see any problem with using Vimeo for this kind of thing. In their community guidelines they do say "No commercial use", but they also say:

"Exceptions: independent production companies, authors, musicians, non profits, churches, artists, and actors may show or promote the work they have created."

I'd say Kyle's video falls under that. They clearly don't want us to use Vimeo to offload hosting costs, or to use it to directly promote products for sale. I think that is where the "commercial use" would be. Posting samples of your work or something like this where you're asking for feedback — it seems totally fine to me as I understand it. They don't want Vimeo to turn into a crazy free-for-all like YouTube. I don't think any of us do either, that's why we use it. I'm not sure exactly what Vimeo wants to be when it grows up, but I do like it so far. Great alternative to YouTube.

Sorry to interrupt your thread with this Kyle. Very nice promo.

Erik Phairas
November 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Nice! Looked super sharp on my hdtv.