View Full Version : Wanted: Lens Hood for EX1

John Marsh
November 6th, 2010, 06:58 PM
My lens hood is sticky. Anyone know a link to purchase one of these and/or tell me how to fix the sticky problem. I heard some graphite might work, so I'd appreciate any tips or experence. Thanks.

Scott Karlins
November 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Mine is sticking, and only one shutter opens and closes. Sony parts has them for $110. !

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-parts.aspx

I tried taking mine apart, and nearly impossible.

Regards,
Scott K.

John Marsh
November 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah, what part do you type in to find it (help appreciated.)
JM

Serena Steuart
November 14th, 2010, 06:46 AM
The lens hood for the z1 and EX1 are rather similar, so this article should help with disassembly:
Repair your own Sony HVR-Z1U or FX1 lens hood! (http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/repairing_the_Sony_Z1_lens_hood.htm)

John Peterson
November 15th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Nice find Serena. Thanks.

John

Pietro Jona
November 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
My ex1 lens hood -sticky as well- doesn't have the four tiny screws on front..

Clark Peters
November 16th, 2010, 06:27 AM
The screws for the EX1 hood are "hidden" under four small circles of black paper or very, very thin plastic.You can see those on the front of the hood. Peel them off with a small knife blade. (They come off easily and can be reused.) Then you can see the four screws. I used a #0 Philips head screwdriver. A front plastic plate then comes off and you have to peel the rubber ring back, or just take it off. It is connected to the hood with doublestick tape. There are four more screws the same size at the bottom of wells that you can access once the rubber ring is out of the way. Unscrew them and the shutter assembly lifts out. Reassembly was very easy, assuming nothing is broken. Just make sure the lever is set to "closed" and the shutters are closed in the proper order (You can tell how they are supposed to overlap.) Don't tighten the screws very tightly. They are small and going into plastic.

Good Luck.

Pete

Pietro Jona
November 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Woah! Will try, thanks.