View Full Version : Affordable 3D monitor

Bruce Schultz
November 11th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I've been reading various threads about the unavailability of an affordable, compact, full color 3D monitor so I'm posting a link to the one I've been using since January of this year.

3D MONITORS (http://www.3dfilmfactory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=78) (click here)

It's half the price of the Transvideo unit, but slightly larger and bulkier at 11"H x 11"W x 9" D. It uses two LCD screens with a 45 deg. mirror and is linear polarized. It displays 3D in full color, and has flip/flop utility.

I have it mounted on a T-bar on a C-Stand with a Leader 5750 Waveform/Vectorscope next to it. It has DVI and Component inputs, so I use a pair of AJA HDP2 SDI>DVI to drive it from my mirror rig and Panasonic 3DA1. I've also velcro attached a Black Magic 3D Displayport converter and use the AJA SDI loop throughs to send an HDMI signal to a 46" Samsung 3D HDTV and the muxed SDI to the Leader for exposure monitoring of both L/R signals on one screen. And, with full color it kicks the hell out of anaglyph solutions - especially for client viewing. It can also run on AC or 12v - I power it along with the AJA converters and B-M 3D with a Anton Bauer D-tap on the back of the Leader's A/B plate, so the whole rig runs off one power source - either A/C mains or A/Bauer battery.

It is manufactured in Korea and there are no schematics or much documentation at all with it, but it has worked flawlessly for nearly a year in the field for me.

It doesn't have any grid or neg/positive settings for alignment, but without linear glasses on it displays full color superimposed double images that can be used for camera alignment.

For under $5K it's the best, and only thing around for simple effective full color field monitoring.