View Full Version : Don't plan an extensive GH2 shoot until you can get batteries/AC cord

James Campbell
December 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM
I just received my new GH2 today from Adorama (black, 14-140mm lens). Great camera, having a great time... until the battery died after about an hour. I had ordered a battery that I was told would work with the GH2 (DMW-BLB13PP); no such luck. It isn't even close; you need the DMW-BLC12PP. Tried to find some online; again, no luck. I found a company in Japan that allegedly has the DMW-AC8 (I say "allegedly," as I know that buying "genuine" batteries et al can be risky from Japan or Hong Kong, but I've actually had great success the last month in buying batteries that work in new cameras), but I won't get it for a few weeks.

Thus my recommendation: don't plan an extensive shoot until you have extra batteries and/or the AC8 power cord in your hands. Use the next period of time to get accustomed to the GH2 so that when you can actually purchase batteries/AC cord, you're ready to record. Otherwise, stick with your other cameras for current projects.

John Wiley
December 22nd, 2010, 01:12 AM
Sound advice James!

It's a pity Panasonic are not a bit more prepared with their spare batteries; but I suppose it will force people not to shoot anything major until they've spent some time with the camera.

Brian Luce
December 22nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
I'm not familiar with this retailer, but they claim to have the batteries.
Panasonic DMWBLC12 Lithium Ion Battery for GH2 Lithium Batteries - Vistek Canada Product Detail (http://www.vistek.ca/store/Batteries/253682/panasonic-dmwblc12-lithium-ion-battery-for-gh2.aspx)

James Campbell
December 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the attempt, and I did see that Vistek claims to have them, but once you try to checkout, it says, "out of stock." I'll keep an eye on that site.

Paulo Teixeira
December 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
I'll still use the GH2 for projects although I still have the GH1 as back up. I wish it was the same battery as the GH1's and we wouldn't be having these issues. When the GH1 came out, I bought it with a spare battery and it's a good thing I did. It's too bad I couldn't do that with the GH2.

Stephen Boss
December 24th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Any overheating issues with the GH2 video?

Paulo Teixeira
December 24th, 2010, 02:33 AM
If the GH2 is anything like the GH1, it wont be an issue. I shot videos until the battery died today at an event yesterday. Since Panasonic haven't released many spare batteries if any in the US, that's the limitation. I've said this in other places that have people asking this question everywhere, but not every camera is made the same way.
GH1/2 Overheating Problems? (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?225768-GH1-2-Overheating-Problems&highlight=overheating)

David W. Jones
December 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I could not find the GH2 or batteries for it in stock at a reputable dealer, so I went ahead and ordered an AF100 along with extra batteries and sdxc cards. I figured it will be here long before the GH2.

Brian Luce
December 24th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Any overheating issues with the GH2 video?

I have a pair of GH2's and they don't overheat. That was a huge problem on my 7d. I don't understand how wedding guys were able to use the 7d. However, in defense of the 7d, mine stopped overheating once I started using external monitor. But it'd always be in the back of your mind that the dreaded RED light would turn on. GH2 so far seem way better for video for any number of reasons. 7d wins for stills though.

James Campbell
January 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Update... I ordered two of these through The Camera Store | Get the Picture! (http://www.thecamerastore.com). When I called, they said that you need to order them via their website. I wasn't sure that I trusted this even though the site said "in stock," but I took a chance. I ordered them yesterday and they shipped them out today, so not too bad. It'll take a bit of shipping time, but at least they're on their way.

Gabroo Singh
January 7th, 2011, 03:12 AM
How long does the battery typically last for the GH2?

Thanks.

Jim Forrest
January 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Update... I ordered two of these through The Camera Store | Get the Picture! (http://www.thecamerastore.com). When I called, they said that you need to order them via their website. I wasn't sure that I trusted this even though the site said "in stock," but I took a chance. I ordered them yesterday and they shipped them out today, so not too bad. It'll take a bit of shipping time, but at least they're on their way.

Please let us know if they got to you and are the right ones.

Patrick Janka
January 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I wasn't aware you could plug in an A/C cord. Where's the jack?

Ros Dok
January 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I also have a battery problem...can't find them anywhere and they're quite expensive anyway (because there only are original ones).

Maybe it can be used with a Tekkeon myPower All? Tekkeon - myPower ALL, MP3300/MP3400/MP3450 (http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mypowerall.html) If it works, it should be the same as about 6 batteries. I'm not sure though. Anyone?

James Campbell
January 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM
"Where's the jack?"

I believe that if you open the battery compartment, there is a small square, rubber piece that pulls out, and the AC cord runs into the battery compartment.

Patrick Janka
January 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Ah, so it's like something in the shape of the battery, and the cable runs out the side? I gotcha. Cool.

Brian Luce
January 9th, 2011, 03:34 PM
"Where's the jack?"

I believe that if you open the battery compartment, there is a small square, rubber piece that pulls out, and the AC cord runs into the battery compartment.

This is correct.

James Campbell
January 10th, 2011, 04:31 PM
If you purchase the DMW-AC8, make sure you also purchase the DMW-DCC8. Someone on this forum already pointed this out, but I had purchased the AC8 via Japan, and it looked like on eBay that the AC8 includes everything, but it doesn't. The DCC8 is the portion that contains the cord going into the GH2 and the "battery" portion.

Jim Forrest
January 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Batteries available. See 'Batteries for GH2' post

Brian Luce
January 11th, 2011, 11:10 PM
And since today I paid full retail ($70) for a battery, it follows that three hours later you can get them here Video Direct: Panasonic DMW-BLC12 Battery Pack for Panasonic Lumix DMW-GH2 (http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=V&Product_Code=DMWBLC12&Category_Code=DIGCPWRACC) for $45.

Jim Forrest
January 12th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Ouch! Me too, what a Panasonic markup.

Evan Lloyd
January 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I'm so glad I've been following this post. It just saved me $40. Thanks guys! That said, $9.95 to ship a battery seems a bit steep to me, but after having this camera for a month without a spare battery, I'll take it.

Evan

Brian Luce
January 12th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I'm so glad I've been following this post. It just saved me $40. Thanks guys! That said, $9.95 to ship a battery seems a bit steep to me, but after having this camera for a month without a spare battery, I'll take it.

Evan

I think Panasonic Parts is charging me $14.95 for shipping.

Jim Snow
January 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM
It's pretty typical for manufacturers to charge high prices for direct sales of their products and accessories. If they don't, their distributors and dealers would first shoot them and then dump them. That's a pretty fundamental law of the jungle. How would you feel if you were a dealer for a manufacturer and your customers were haranguing you by telling you they can buy a product for only $X from the manufacturer? Marketing 101 - Don't under price your dealers at retail for your products; it will kill you if you do.

Mike Paterson
January 13th, 2011, 02:49 AM
For those that have got batteries, how long does a battery last when shooting video?

Brian Luce
January 13th, 2011, 04:08 AM
For those that have got batteries, how long does a battery last when shooting video?
Usually about 90 minutes for me.

Evan Lloyd
January 13th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Same here. 90 minutes, sometimes more depending on how I shoot.

Evan Lloyd
January 23rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
So against the advice of this thread, I shot two sessions in one day, on one battery. I have a couple of spare batteries on the way. Unlucky for me, Fedex tracking says they will arrive on Monday. Oh well.

Session #1
I shot a Save the Date Engagement video. This session was planned for weeks and was my priority for the day. The session lasted 3 hours and I was able to get about an hour and a half of footage off of my battery. Honestly, I never dipped below two bars, so the battery exceeded my expectations. The session ended at 1pm.

Session #2
At 2pm I had to be at a dance studio to shoot some dance lessons taught by a former world champion ballroom dancer. I had the battery charging in the car in between session, and once I got to the gig, I threw the charger on the wall and stated shooting with my Canon HV30 (B-Cam). Twenty minutes later, the little LED light turned off on the charger and I was back in business. I shot 3 lessons, 45 minutes each, on one charge. Again it exceeded my expectations. I left the HV30 on a tripod for the wide shot, and I threw the GH2 on a Merlin and flew it for three hours. The good news is, I now have a very in depth knowledge of how to fly the GH2 on a Merlin. The bad news is, my back is killing me.

I'm happy to say I pulled off the day, with fairly little stress. I was super anal about only using the LCD when I "needed" to. It's not a fun way to shoot, but it worked out in the end. I'll be very happy when the spare batteries come in. Shooting with only one is not fun.

I'm loving the GH2. It has been nothing but good times since I bought it. I have no regrets. I can't wait to buy another one and retire the HV30.

Take care
Evan

Brian Luce
January 23rd, 2011, 12:44 AM
Though I have a spare, I shot for 2 hours straight on one battery today and still had a bar left. And the LCD was on the whole time.

Jonathan Plotkin
February 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM
And since today I paid full retail ($70) for a battery, it follows that three hours later you can get them here Video Direct: Panasonic DMW-BLC12 Battery Pack for Panasonic Lumix DMW-GH2 (http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=V&Product_Code=DMWBLC12&Category_Code=DIGCPWRACC) for $45.

These guys are currently out of stock. Anyone find an alternate discounted source with stock??

Alex Savage
February 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
I haven't timed my battery life but I have been happy with it so far. Maybe a full day shoot for me doesn't involve as much actual filming as some people. I managed to get a spare battery for both my GH2's a couple weeks ago so I'm all set now.

Patrick Janka
February 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM
The good news is, I now have a very in depth knowledge of how to fly the GH2 on a Merlin.

Care to share your settings/recipe? =)

Evan Lloyd
February 6th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Screw hole: L
Stage position: 0
Middle weight: Finish
Bottom weight:start, middle, finish
Z:1
Arch:10 1/4'

This has worked for me with the 14-140 lens. I have the view finder unfolded to the left of the camera and tilted up slightly. Lens is set at 14mm

Hope this helps.

Martyn Hull
February 6th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Crazy i have just had to pay £60 sterling for a Panasonic DMW-BLC12E battery 3 times plus the equivalent canon ones.

William James Ryan
February 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
... I left the HV30 on a tripod for the wide shot, and I threw the GH2 on a Merlin and flew it for three hours. The good news is, I now have a very in depth knowledge of how to fly the GH2 on a Merlin. The bad news is, my back is killing me.

I'm loving the GH2. It has been nothing but good times since I bought it. I have no regrets. I can't wait to buy another one and retire the HV30...

How do the images from the two cameras look cut next to each other? I've got an Hv20/30 and am looking to get a GH2 for low light & dof purposes.

Thanks

Evan Lloyd
February 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM
The HV20 and GH2 blend well. I use the Color program, and with Color I can get them pretty close. Close enough anyway.

Evan

Jon Braeley
February 9th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I read the posts but can anyone sum up the situation with batteries for the GH2?

The best solution? Is it easy to get genuine Panny batteries for decent money or is there generics available that use the charger etc? My GH2 arrives ina few days so I have no idea about the battery yet.

Thanks.

Brian Luce
February 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM
So far the Panasonic firmware is doing a good job of preventing 3rd party battery use. One solution however is to use the DC coupler and tap in a $40 toy car battery -- it will mount externally obviously but you can shoot all day with it.

Jim Forrest
February 9th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Backordered

Video Direct: Panasonic DMW-BLC12 Battery Pack for Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 (http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=V&Product_Code=DMWBLC12&Category_Code=DIGCPWRACC)

Jeroen Wolf
February 13th, 2011, 01:41 PM
They upped the battery by $10... Still, this shop in Amsterdam charges 99 euro's for the battery- that's a whopping 138 dollars??!! Shame on Panasonic!