View Full Version : How to show clip length on timeline?

Leif Skoglund
December 22nd, 2010, 04:08 AM
I'm editing on timeline and need how to view the length og each clip. When using "Tools/Scripting/Add timecode to all media", you can see the timecode where the cursor is placed on the original clip and not the edited clip. It's also possible to count the length of each clip on the timeline, but this is not an effective way to do this.
Does anyone know about a function/script in Vegas 10 that makes it possible to see the actual length of each clip when editing`? I'm not using trimmer when editing.

Leslie Wand
December 22nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
edit details tab

Mike Kujbida
December 22nd, 2010, 05:59 AM
Courtesy of Gilles Pialat
Scripts and Custom Commands (http://sony.vegas.1.free.fr/)
"Show Event Length" is the script you want.
He has a lot of other very useful (all free!!) ones there as well.
For example, use "Open In Graphic Editor" several times on every project.

Leif Skoglund
December 23rd, 2010, 02:52 AM
Thanks so far.

The scipt named "Show event Lenght" is downloaded. Now I cant find where(directory) to put the file named CC_Showeventhlength.dll. It's not a real script-file(cs-file), The text-file added to the -.dll-file has named some paths/directories, but I'm not able to use these paths. Maybe these paths are useful in XP/Vista. I'm using WIN7-64bit and SV Pro 10, and I need a path which is useful in Windows 7.

As I mentioned in my first post, when using "Tools/Scripting/Add timecode to all media", I could see the timecode where the cursor are placed on the original clip and not the edited clip. But when using Video Event FX and adding "Sony Timecode" to a clip, I'm getting what I need. The timecode is now in "realtime" and shows the length of the clip I'm using. But I can't add this Event FX to all clips, it would take too long time.

Any ideas here????

Mike Kujbida
December 23rd, 2010, 02:59 AM
Leif, I just dropped it into the Pro 10 script folder.
C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 10.0\Script Menu

Leslie Wand
December 23rd, 2010, 03:00 AM
simply drop it in the scripts folder of vegs....

Leif Skoglund
December 23rd, 2010, 03:26 AM
Dropped the files into the script folder, but "An error occured........"

error 0x80131600(message missing)
Details: Failed to create instance of main class:"Entry point"
at Sony.Vegas.ScriptHost.ScriptManager.Run(Assembly asm, String className, String methodName)
at Sony.Vegas.ScriptHost.RunScript(Boolean fCompileOnly)

What to do here?

Dugi Barr
December 23rd, 2010, 05:00 AM
I get that same error message in XP Leif.

Mike Kujbida
December 23rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
Make sure that you drop only the dll and png files into the script folder.
I'm using XP Pro 32-bit and it works in Pro 8, 9 and 10.
Leslie is using Windows 7 64-bit.

Robin Davies-Rollinson
December 23rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Mike, that's what I did as well - same message.
Running 32-bit version.

Mike Kujbida
December 23rd, 2010, 06:06 AM
I'm on Santa's naughty list so nothing under the tree for me this year :-)
As it turns out, I've been misleading everybody.
After seeing the error messages, I did some checking and, even though it worked, it wasn't because it was in the script folder.
It was also in C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\My Documents\Vegas Application Extensions and this is where it should be placed.

This should help everyone but Leif as he's on Windows 7.

Leslie, can you confirm that the script folder is the only place this shows up in?
If you don't, I'm sending you all the snow I have (which isn't much, you'll be glad to hear!!).

Wishing a very merry Christmas to one and all.

Leslie Wand
December 23rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
oi vey!!!!

as ever, mike is quite right;

C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\My Documents\Vegas Application Extensions

and NOT AT ALL under scripts - that's why it shows up as an extension!

heartfelt apologies to one and all. put it down to age....

and mike, i'd be quite happy for some of your snow......

a very merry humbug to one and all......

Mike Kujbida
December 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Apology accepted.
And watch it with the age comments you old fart (says the almost 60 yr. old with a grin!!)

As far as snow is concerned, I seem to recall a news story just this week about snow in Australia somewhere.
Or am I having a flashback again?
:-)

Don Bloom
December 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Wait until you get to my age, then the mind really is gone, you young kids!

O|O
\--/

Leslie Wand
December 23rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Apology accepted.
And watch it with the age comments you old fart (says the almost 60 yr. old with a grin!!)

As far as snow is concerned, I seem to recall a news story just this week about snow in Australia somewhere.
Or am I having a flashback again?
:-)

oi, show some respect to your elders!!!!!

we're having a real old rollercoaster of a ride with the weather. today, or at least this morning i had to put a jumper on - by lunchtime it was back to a shirt - t-shirts are out nowadays, gotta protect what's left of my fair skin....

have a really great weekend, and new year!

hey don, what age is that, and should i worry now at 63?

Don Bloom
December 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
I recently left 63 and headed to the next number. Hard to even say it although my children with their perverse sense of humor (all of them) do not let me forget the number. One day I woke up and couldn't remember what day it was, nor could I remember the date or even what month.* No I hadn't been drinking the night before. It seems I had gotten a case of 'sometimers disease' (sometimes you remember sometimes you don't) my doctor said it's not uncommon to hit hard one day and be gone the next but it seems I can use it to my advantage. Heh, I won't get into details but it does have it's advantages.

*actually what had happened was I had a very late night night the night before striking a corporate AV show that ran much later than anticipated and by the time I got home, got to bed I had very little sleep and just spaced out but the other story just sounds good. Get's me lots of sympathy. ;-)

Ah you youngsters!!!

You know what they say, "age is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"

OK I feel it kicking in now so I'll leave it at that.

O|O
\--/

Leif Skoglund
December 24th, 2010, 04:44 AM
It seems that I have to ask Santa Claus how to
show clip length on the timeline when editing.....
North Pole is close to Northern Norway and he is coming soon.

Merry Christmas from Leif in then snow and winterland.....

Mike Kujbida
December 24th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Leif, I have no idea why the script isn't working for like it is for the rest of us.
The only other solution I can offer is to double-click a clip and look in the "Selection Length" box in the bottom right of the screen as indicated in the attached image.
You'll have to do this each and every time you want to know the length.

Paul Fierlinger
December 24th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Under "My Documents" all I see is a folder called, Vegas Script Menu, nothing else for Vegas... how come?

Windows XP 32, Vegas 10.b

I could really use this script as well.

Mike Kujbida
December 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Under "My Documents" all I see is a folder called, Vegas Script Menu, nothing else for Vegas... how come?

That's the wrong place to be looking.
Try C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\My Documents\Vegas Application Extensions

Paul Fierlinger
December 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM
That's exactly where I I am. And when I open Vegas I can see the script but I get the error message others got. Above is Updater and Sony Media Libraries and My Music, Pictures etc, How did this happen?

Paul Fierlinger
December 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Mike, something just occured to me; since I do not use a camera, perhaps many functions of Vegas don't get installed by my setup. For instance I don't use Sony Video Capture.

Paul Fierlinger
December 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Another component I don't use and never install is Media Manager -- could that be the cause?

Mike Kujbida
December 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM
AFAIK, the video capture utility is automatically installed.
I don't use Media Manager either.

If you installed this script in the Vegas script folder, remove it as doing so will give you that message.

From the script's readme file, here are the locations to try.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Vegas Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\8.0\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\8.0\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\8.0\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\Application Extensions\

Paul Fierlinger
December 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I never left the script in there after the error message. I tried all the options to no avail. I even did a search on my C drive for Application Extensions and nothing showed up.

Paul Fierlinger
December 25th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm getting curious now; what other files do you have in Application Extensions?

Mike Kujbida
December 25th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Here you go Paul.
I'm not 100% certain but I may have created that folder myself.
Try it as you have nothing to lose and everything to gain if it works.

Paul Fierlinger
December 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Oops, I should have told you a tried that a while back and it doesn't work. But at a quick glance I also have none of those files in my work flow. Also this; others here seemed to have no problem locating their Application Extensions once they were told to go there, so something must be creating it.

Mike Kujbida
December 25th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Paul, I found the following suggestion, courtesy of Edward Troxel and Gilles Pialat (creator of "Show Event Length"), on the Sony Vegas forum.

Go to "My Documents".
Create a "Vegas Application Extensions" folder.
Copy the dll and png from the zip file you downloaded into this folder.
Go to the View Menu > Extensions to run it.
Anything in that folder will show up in ALL versions of Vegas Pro that support extensions so you may wish to move it out of any other locations too.

Leif Skoglund
December 26th, 2010, 03:35 AM
1: Downloaded a trial version of Excalibur(ver 6-0-6) and installed this. This program made a folder called Vegas Application Extensions with this path: C:\Users\Leif\My Documents\Vegas Application Extensions. Used "Tools/Extensions" and there was Excalibur. Then dropped the files CC_ShowEventLength.dll and CC_ShowEventLength.png into this folder, but nothing to see under "Tools/Extensions". As I've said before, I'm using Win7 64-bit and Vegas Pro 10 64-bit.

2: But still I can't understand why the script "Add timecode to all media" are working as it is. When cutting 5 sec in the end of a 15 sec clip, the timecode at the end of this "new" clip says 10 sec. And then, when cutting 5 sec in the beginning of this clip, the timecode says 5 sec at the start of this "new" clip and not 0:00.

Paul Fierlinger
December 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Copy the dll and png from the zip file you downloaded into this folder.
Go to the View Menu > Extensions to run it.
Thank you Mike (and Edward Troxel and Gilles Pialat) for your helpful persist ency; alas my Extensions item in the View Menu has always been ghosted. This has been so in all my versions of Vegas since I can remember (V 6.0 but not completely sure of this). After following your instructions this situation hasn't changed; Extensions is, as always, ghosted.

After reading Leif's post I wonder if downloading Excalibur would change this.

Paul Fierlinger
December 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I got it now. I downloaded Excalibur and my extensions under View showed up with just Show Event Length in it, which is all that I wanted. Thanks again Mike for your patience and time, and thanks Edward for your tip, and Gilles in the first place for the plugin !

Paul Fierlinger
December 26th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Clarification; Excalibur appeared after reopening Vegas but on first glance I don't see much in there to help me with my work flow. I'll have to take a closer look later.

Edward Troxel
December 28th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Clarification; Excalibur appeared after reopening Vegas but on first glance I don't see much in there to help me with my work flow. I'll have to take a closer look later.

I find TONS of stuff in Excalibur to help my work flow. It automates MANY tasks for you. Go to the "About" screen and click on the button to open the documentation. That explains all the various functions.

To clear a few things up:

The "Vegas Application Extensions" folder is not automatically there. It has to be created - either manually or via an installer such as Excalibur. There are many places this folder can be. Some work with ALL installed versions of Vegas. Some only work with a specific version of Vegas. The simplest location for most people is {My Documents}\Vegas Application Extensions.

Any "Custom Commands" placed in that folder will automatically appear in Vegas. However, there are THREE places where extensions can appear:

Edit - Extensions: I honestly don't recall any that show up here but it is a possible place for them to be.

View - Extensions: Any that pop up a GUI should be found here. I have Excalibur, Project Inspector, and Montage Magic that show here. Ultimate S would also appear here. Obviously the length custom command appears here as well.

Tools - Extensions: Many people look here first as this is also where the scripting option is located. I do have one custom command that appears here - Auto Save.

Note: Project Inspector and Auto Save get installed with Excalibur. However, Project Inspector and Auto Save are both free to use and do not expire. Excalibur will expire after 2 weeks unless a valid serial number is purchased and entered.

Paul Fierlinger
December 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Edward, I appreciate the thought and work that went into Excalibur but you must understand that the technical requirements and editing work flow of animated films can quite differ from anything most of you do here. Many of the functionalities of Excalibur I have already completed in my graphics software before I even import my AVI clips.

Leif Skoglund
December 29th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I found the solution. Made a folder called Vegas Application Extensions under "My Documents". Then copied the files CC_ShowEventhLength.dll, CC_ShowEventhLength.png and the textdocument named CC_ShowEventhLength to this folder. Then looked under View/Extensions and there was "Show Event Length. It is not visible under Tools/Extensions and Edit/Extensions.
Thanks to all who helped me......

Dugi Barr
December 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Yep that solved it for me too, in XP 32bit. Many Thanks

Robin Davies-Rollinson
December 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Solved for me with Windows 7. 32-bit as well.
Many thanks!