View Full Version : Selling EX1--upgrade firmware first?

Rob Collins
January 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Seeking some advice about selling my EX1 (purchased very soon after release). I never upgraded from original firmware (1.02 I think?). I was happy using SxS, and just remembered not to leave battery in. To upgrade now from Sony would cost $200 plus all the shipping. I'd be selling along with plenty of SxS, so I wonder if it might be better to sell as is--perhaps the buyer might live close to a service center, or not care about the firmware? In any case, he/she could get it upgraded if desired, and pay me less up front.

In theory. The other thought is that especially on eBay having it upgraded would pay for itself--bidders aren't always totally rational...

Thanks for any feedback. And, of course, if interested in buying let me know. 3800 hours with Olof's baseplate and wing.

Chris Hurd
January 12th, 2011, 10:39 AM
My experience has been that you'll be able to sell more quickly and at a higher price if you can prove that your camera has just returned from factory service, by saving the buyer that extra step. Not only will you get the most recent firmware, but you'll have a thoroughly cleaned and checked camera as well, and the documentation to show for it.

Robert Young
January 13th, 2011, 02:21 AM
You can upgrade the firmware yourself, although it is a little more involved to do on the EX1 than the EX1r.
It would probably be a marketing plus to be able to offer it with the "latest firmware" if you are up for doing it.
If you search this forum you will find a lot of first hand info on the upgrading process.

Tom Hardwick
January 13th, 2011, 03:10 AM
There's also the other side of the coin - the 'ain't broke? Then don't fix it' scenario. If you're one for paying to have your car serviced before you sell it then go ahead I say, but in reality such costs are never clawed back in the second-hand price.

tom.

Junior Chan
January 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
You can upgrade the firmware yourself, although it is a little more involved to do on the EX1 than the EX1r.
It would probably be a marketing plus to be able to offer it with the "latest firmware" if you are up for doing it.
If you search this forum you will find a lot of first hand info on the upgrading process.

I believe you have to send it into Sony's factory depot if the firmware is older than 1.05.