View Full Version : 64-bit Version of HD Link?

Julian Frost
January 30th, 2011, 05:54 PM
After several months of being unable to edit *any* CF AVI files (on a clean installation of Windows XP 32-bit, Neo HD, and Premier Pro CS3) due to a still unresolved issue which began after a Neo HD update, I finally solved the problem.... I installed a new hard drive and put Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on it, and reinstalled CS3!

I now see that HD Link is a 32-bit application! It works fine on Windows 7 64-bit, but surely it would work better and faster if it were a 64-bit application and able to use all the system's resources?

So, any plans on making a 64-bit version?

David Newman
January 30th, 2011, 06:05 PM
No plans, as there is no gain. HDLink uses third party decoders to convert camera footage to CineForm, those decoders or overwhelming 32-bit only.

Julian Frost
January 30th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the reply David. I'm surprised to hear you say there is no gain by going to 64-bit. Surely with 64-bit code, HD Link could encode larger chunks of the input file at a time, as more RAM is available to it, and therefore re-encode faster?

David Newman
January 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Don't work that way. We aren't close to running out of memory in 32-bit space, and using more memory does not speed up transcodes (using often less does.)